Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needing Some Good Advices!

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hey There How u Doing Today? :) I hope, Good...

I will try to be as brief as possible on this, i was surfing many websites about desktops and laptops so i decided to go for desktops so when a went at this website:www.alienware.com - I found out many expensives prices for one of the best desktops ever so i was kinda " damned im not gonna buy this [bleep] above 3000 $ " so i thought and said im gonna ask for advices and now my question is can u list the best components for a gaming computer ill give u some examples, here u can see some good laptops http://www.alienware...-computers.aspx and here u can see some good desktops http://www.alienware...-computers.aspx now here comes the good questions, can u list me the best components to build the best desktop ever for games better than those, try to be comprehensive and try to do not make it really expensive.
Do not forget to list me the websites where i can find these components also because im gonna definitely buy them and build up my own computer,
Try to do ur best because i really wanna buy some good components for a gaming desktop but at the same time i wanna expect something reasonable for my pocket. I'm gonna really appreciate ur time and dedication on this advice because i wanna be sure about what i'm gonna buy.

Note:
I heard about computers with 8 nucleus into its system and more stuff like this which makes any computer powerful as [bleep]!

Thank u for reading this!
I expect some good advices and opinions
Good Bless You All! " Go Geeks, Best Website Ever " :)

Edited by brady1988, 09 January 2009 - 06:08 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey There How u Doing Today? :) I hope, Good...

I will try to be as brief as possible on this, i was surfing many websites about desktops and laptops so i decided to go for desktops so when a went at this website:www.alienware.com - I found out many expensives prices for one of the best desktops ever so i was kinda " damned im not gonna buy this [bleep] above 3000 $ " so i thought and said im gonna ask for advices and now my question is can u list the best components for a gaming computer ill give u some examples, here u can see some good laptops http://www.alienware...-computers.aspx and here u can see some good desktops http://www.alienware...-computers.aspx now here comes the good questions, can u list me the best components to build the best desktop ever for games better than those, try to be comprehensive and try to do not make it really expensive.
Do not forget to list me the websites where i can find these components also because im gonna definitely buy them and build up my own computer,
Try to do ur best because i really wanna buy some good components for a gaming desktop but at the same time i wanna expect something reasonable for my pocket. I'm gonna really appreciate ur time and dedication on this advice because i wanna be sure about what i'm gonna buy.

Note:
I heard about computers with 8 nucleus into its system and more stuff like this which makes any computer powerful as [bleep]!

Thank u for reading this!
I expect some good advices and opinions
Good Bless You All! " Go Geeks, Best Website Ever " :)

Ya you can build one faster and cheaper but usually the motherboards if you build one yourself will be of much higher quality as you have an endless amount to choose from unless it is a brand new chip / socket type that has just been released but you will still have many diff models to choose from. All of the hardware in general can even be of higher quality than alienware etc.

I would start out with some type of Core I7 cpu with a very reliable higher end X58 mobo.

http://www.newegg.co.....name=LGA 1366

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188039

6GB of triple Channel memory from a good reputable company such as corsair,gskill, etc.. I would go for the Gskill as it is much cheaper than the over priced Corsair but either is good. Try to find the best price/performance ratio on the ram and you can save a bit.

http://www.newegg.co.......amp;x=0&y=0

Get the new nvidia gtx295 video card that just came out a few days ago which will beat the old king the ati 4870x2. You really only need 1 of those babies but if you have the cash to throw around 2 would be sick but you really will not need 2 unless you want to max out games with FULL RESOLUTION On a huge monitor.

http://www.newegg.co...p;Order=REVIEWS

Get a good aftermarket cooling fan for the CPU and I want you to be the one and pick out your computer case as that is something I let all my customers pick out.

For the power supply get a good reliable brand such as pc power & cooling, Ocz, corsair, seasonic etc.. 750Watt+. You will be fine with a 750Watt with 1 gtx285/gtx295 but if you want 2 and you plan on having a lot of other hardware / accessories then 850W would be fine. 1000W if you just want to waste the money.

For a hard drive get a 1TB drive from western digital or whatever your favorite brand is but I would go for the best price/performance/Space harddrive.

Newegg.com is a good website to buy off of when building a pc.

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 10:48 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thx jrm20 i guess u sell all these things too if im not mistaking ... so i wanna ask u something can u list me all the components i need to build the best gaming pc ever it doesnt matter how much it will sum i just need u to tell me all u know about building the best gaming pc ever please.
Keep in mind that it has to remain for years u know what im saying i wont have to buy another computer or rebuild my computer the next year or in 2 years something i can use for a long time as well.
Oh! and hey do not forget to talk to me about the nucleus i heard about 8 nucleus into a desktop system even more i just need u to list me something decent but not weak.
(Imagine that this is gonna be like one of ur powerful desktops for games)
Thx man! i appreciated this.

Edited by brady1988, 09 January 2009 - 09:40 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

thx jrm20 i guess u sell all these things too if im not mistaking ... so i wanna ask u something can u list me all the components i need to build the best gaming pc ever it doesnt matter how much it will sum i just need u to tell me all u know about building the best gaming pc ever please.
Keep in mind that it has to remain for years u know what im saying i wont have to buy another computer or rebuild my computer the next year or in 2 years something i can use for a long time as well.
Thx man! i appreciated this.

I do build pc's for friends/coworkers and people but I buy all parts from newegg then build the pc around the customers budget and charge about $250 and thats it. The customer pays for the parts up front usually then I only charge up to $250 for putting it together and for my time. In my earlier days I hardly charged anything.

Well the thing is it wont be the best gaming pc ever and it won't last for years as new series of video cards come out at least every 6 months and new processors 6 months to a year. Technology is moving so fast in today's society.

What I posted on the last post will be a very good high end build but no computer can last for years as I stated above. A pc with those specs above should last a good 1.5-2years no problems then you might decide on upgrading just the Video card in a year or 2.

Ya you can get a very very high end pc if you have the cash to spill out.

I am more of the best price / performance ratio on High end parts but if you want the best cpu it is the Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz at $1,019.99 just for the cpu LOL.

Now would I personally buy that, no way. The next step below that one is the Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz for $564.99 as that price is more reasonable. You never need to get the highest priced cpu as you are wasting your money dishing out $1000+ on just 1 part and in a few months to 6 months it will be considered outdated because newer cpu's or architectures will be out.. Even the cheapest Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz at $294.99 is a fast chip as you can overclock any of these and get it past the $1000 cpu and save a lot of cash.

Id go for the core i7 940 or the core i7 920 as you can overclock any of these chips pretty easy if you have some knowledge.

With the money you saved on that you can get 2 gtx 295 video cards and run it in sli as that would be a killer setup and IMO all you would need for 2 years lol. 2 years is a long time for a gaming pc as more and more games require faster and faster video cards here lately.

Use this advice and the mobo, ram, hd as I posted in earlier posts and you will have a kick-@ss pc.

Well I gave you the price/ performance speech but if you have a hefty budget and you will take nothing less than the BEST I would change to the $1000 cpu and 3 gtx 295 video cards in tri sli. Do you need it, no way but hey it is up to you I gave you my opinion as even the cheapest core I7 can be overclocked past the $1000 cpu and you just saved $700..

What is your budget anyway?

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 09:59 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless you are dead set on using SLI, I highly recommend you look into AMDs Phenom II 920 or 940 black CPUs. While they are not better then Intel's CPUs, they are far cheaper. With AMD, you'll still get to buy dirt cheap DDR2 and you'll be able to use a good 150-200$ motherboard, instead of spending 300$+ on the x58 chipset. I bought i7 a while back, but for the advantages it provides over AMDs current line up, there is no way to justify the price premium, unless the flexibility of using SLI/crossfire is really important to you.
Clock for clock, i7 is superior, although the difference isn't that great after AMDs revisions. Additionally, you need to realize, games are limited by your GPU rather then your CPU. In game, you will notice a negligible difference between the two CPUs. Lastly, the two CPUs from both companies overclock to just about the same extent, although, Intel still beats AMD in this category. Despite AMD still being a little worse the Intel, it's really hard to recommend i7 at this point in time with the release of Phenom II and if you want the best possible gaming experience, spending those additionally dollars in GPU power, will go further then any amount of money spent on CPU power ever will.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2009 - 11:03 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Unless you are dead set on using SLI, I highly recommend you look into AMDs Phenom II 920 or 940 black CPUs. While they are not better then Intel's CPUs, they are far cheaper. With AMD, you'll still get to buy dirt cheap DDR2 and you'll be able to use a good 200$ motherboard, instead of spending 300$+ on the x58 chipset. I bought i7 a while back, but for the advantages it provides over AMDs current line up, there is no way to justify the price premium, unless the flexibility of using SLI/crossfire is really important to you.
Clock for clock, i7 is superior, although the difference isn't that great after AMDs revisions. Additionally, you need to realize, games are limited by your GPU rather then your CPU. In game, you will notice a negligible difference between the two CPUs. Lastly, the two CPUs from both companies overclock to just about the same extent, although, Intel still beats AMD in this category. Despite AMD still being a little worse the Intel, it's really hard to recommend i7 at this point in time with the release of Phenom II and if you want the best possible gaming experience, spending those additionally dollars in GPU power, will go further then any amount of money spent on CPU power ever will.
James

Yep about concentrating more towards the GPU than the CPU. That is what I tried to cram into his noggin lol. I wouldn't waste $1000 on a cpu lol.

I play all the latest games crysis, gta4 on pc etc and even on GTA4 which is a total CPU resource hog I have a LOT of room left on my CPU load / Usage. On the Q6600 quad core I have not checked lately but I know it does not get over 50% usage even for GTA4.. My limitation is in the GPU department as sooner or later I will get me one of those nvidia gtx 295's and a new PC build.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Personally, I'm not particularly impressed with the GTX295, it seems to fail to the HD4870X2 at high resolutions, which is the entire point of these dual GPUs. Aside from the low minimum FPS, which I think it a driver issue, the card seems to be the new king of the hill.
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
ya to each his own but the benchmarks I have seen the gtx 295 looks pretty good. The one instance the ati 4870x2 beat it was on a crysis warhead benchmark as it was due to a bug / driver issue as it only happened at the highest res / AA and AF once. They will come out with newer drivers again that should improve it slightly more.

The 4870x2 still is not a bad deal on the price/performance ratio.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

That's debatable in canada, but I think the HD4870X2 is due for a price adjustment (yay, more MIR /sarcasm). Like you said, to each their own, but I'm finding it hard and harder to trust reviews these days, I pretty well only trust independent review sites like hardware canucks. At least then you know there isn't some kind of pay off, unlike just about every other review site these days.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2009 - 11:18 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

That's debatable in canada, but I think the HD4870X2 is due for a price adjustment (yay, more MIR /sarcasm). Like you said, to each their own, but I'm finding it hard and harder to trust reviews these days, I pretty well only trust independent review sites like hardware canucks. At least then you know there isn't some kind of pay off, unlike just about every other review site these days.
James

LOL yeah I hear ya. :)

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hey thank u guys for the advices , now answering ur question my budget is around 2000$ i can get more but lets make it simple why dont u list me what do i have to buy such as motherboard,proccesors,video cards now dont forget has to be a decent proccesor to support high games and tell me what components should i change after 6 months if some new components came out the important thing to build my CPU the rest is garbage so try to be brief and thank u! on more time for spending ur time on this thread.
(tell me where is each component where cna i find them)
Thx guys! . have a nice day.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Firstly, lets start with what you already have. Do you currently own a mouse, keyboard, monitor or case that would be contributed to this build? If you have a monitor, what it its native resolution?
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
This will get you started and if you want to upgrade anything then go for it. You will still need a CASE as you will have to pick one out and also pick out what Operating system that you want.

I have done everything else for you but you will have to do a little work yourself on picking out what case you want as I always let the customers I build for pick them out.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115202

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188039

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231223

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139009

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143167

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136284

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827151173

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835608007

SUBTOTAL FOR THESE PARTS $1,599.92

Remember about the 2 items you need above.
This is a very high end build the video card is actually the fastest single slot card on the market and it has 2 gpu's on it.

I think you would be fine with this setup REALLY..

Edited by jrm20, 10 January 2009 - 12:58 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey ur awesome dude! thank u thats what i need a big list of everything so now about the other question yeah i have my basic stuff like mouse, mousepad,stereos and so on .
now back to the list what u just did right there is something amazing , basically thats all i need to buy a buid my own powerful gaming pc right?
perfect, im gonna start buying those items so once i get all of them i will ask u for help on how to build them or whatever u want.
Okay so guys if u are forgetting something also on this list u gotta list it :) Hey gentlemen thx for everything. :)