Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP fresh install with no CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

Trianero

Trianero

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am trying to do a fresh install of windows xp home, but the CD-ROM is not working.
Is there a way to install XP with out working CD-ROM on the system?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

In a nutshell.. no..

Murray

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Here's the deal,

If you inserting the disk and it's not booting up, check the boot load sequence in your bios. If your cd-rom light isn't coming on or it's not spinning, check your power connections. If your cd-rom is powering up and it still won't boot, then your comp doesn't support direct cd-rom bootup (which is really wierd). Get a windows boot disk (xp, or me, doesn't really matter), and place your floppy in. Your comp will boot to the floppy, have it install the default drivers, and let it go. Go to your newly iniciated cd-rom and run setup.exe (D:/setup.exe or E:/setup.exe)

If that doesn't work...install linux :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, actually, yes

Remove the harddrive. Place it in the computer you are using now.

What I would do is create 2 partitions on it--the second about 500mb, the first one all the rest, format the second partition as fat32, do not format the first. Create a directory on the second (call it options).

Copy the entire contents of the i386 directory from the windows xp cd into the OPTIONS directory on the second partition. Also copy ANY DRIVERs you may need to this partition, but especially NIC and Modem drivers, maybe video, too

Put the drive back in the PC with the malfunctioning cd-rom.

Reboot PC with a boot disk, then switch to the second partition using the dos commands

change to the OPTIONS directory, then type winnt.exe

windows setup will start, have it selection the first partition, let it format as ntfs, and off you go to the races

Trianero

Trianero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you both.

You need more details from me:
1. This is a Dell Latitude laptop-no floppy on board;
2. I decided to go for fresh Win installation because comp was heavily virus infected (root of Win) and putting the HD into any other system would be dangerous;
3. The CD-ROM is simply not reading any more and need replacement (do not want to buy right now-just want to use the laptop as a back up solution); the light is on and it is spinning;

I know that there is a way install Win with no CD-Rom, since I have done it few years ago. I CAN’T REMEMBER HOW I DID IT!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Same basic procedure I described above with a few wrinkles

You will need a 2.5 inch laptop harddrive adapter or a 2.5 external drive enclosure...install the laptop drive in that and do as above, EXCEPT:

make one partition, put options on that
formate it as fat32 with the
format /s command (copies system files over)

reinsert drive in laptop, it will boot into dos
at c: prompt

cd options
c:\options>winnt.exe

convert to ntfs after in windows xp

Trianero

Trianero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you. I'll try this over the weekend.