Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Upgrade Problems

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I just installed a new PSU, CPU, Motherboard, and a 9600GT video card.
Everything is working great, but when I boot up the computer, I get a long beep followed by two short beeps. Nothing appeared on the monitor. The video card fan was spinning.
I looked this up, and it means there is a video problem. I tried swapping my 9600GT back to my 8500GT, and it all worked.
What should I do?

Also, when everything working, with the old video card, windows forgot everything, and I can't set my resolution to my widescreen resolution, and it's allways trying to install new software for things like my mouse, PCI, and stuff.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I just installed a new PSU, CPU, Motherboard, and a 9600GT video card.
Everything is working great, but when I boot up the computer, I get a long beep followed by two short beeps. Nothing appeared on the monitor. The video card fan was spinning.
I looked this up, and it means there is a video problem. I tried swapping my 9600GT back to my 8500GT, and it all worked.
What should I do?

Also, when everything working, with the old video card, windows forgot everything, and I can't set my resolution to my widescreen resolution, and it's allways trying to install new software for things like my mouse, PCI, and stuff.

Make sure the new video card is seated properly and the fan is spinning. Make sure you plugged in the additional power cable to the back of the new video card. If you used the adapter that came with the card make sure you plug in both of the molex connectors to your power supply.

The resolution thing is normal, after you properly insert the new video card and update to new drivers it should auto detect or you should be able to set it.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
It's not in place all that well, because it's two slots wide, but it's just a matter of not being secure. Regardless, the fan is spinning, and I have the power cable going into the side of it, but I don't know what you mean by "make sure you plug in both of the molex connectors to your power supply."

If you're going to help me, do you have MSN? It would be a lot easier.

Edited by zestron, 09 January 2009 - 07:24 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It's not in place all that well, because it's two slots wide, but it's just a matter of not being secure. Regardless, the fan is spinning, and I have the power cable going into the side of it, but I don't know what you mean by "make sure you plug in both of the molex connectors to your power supply."

If you're going to help me, do you have MSN? It would be a lot easier.

Give me exact link to your video card. Depending on your power supply, you can use the additional Y power adapter that comes with the video card or not, it just depends on your psu like I said.

The power is not secure like you said so you will have to mess around with the power cable that hooks to the video card or try using a DIFFERENT power cable coming off of your Power Supply.

As I said IDK how you have it plugged in, you can plug in the video card using the power supply PCI-E Connector or the Y adapter that came with your video card.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
http://global.msi.co...mp;prod_no=1407

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

http://global.msi.co...mp;prod_no=1407

Keep trying different power cables and also check the DVI to VGA adapter on the card and make sure it is connected securely where you connect the monitor.

If the power cable of the video card is shoved up against the harddrive then you should try moving the harddrive or lowering it.

y_power_cable.jpg

See this image above if you have tried everything and it still does not work, USE the Y Power Cable instead. You can see it plugs into the card and then you plug the 2 molex connectors to your psu's molex connectors.

What do you mean by the card is not secure anyway?

Is anything obstructing the card? If so move the cables etc away.

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I'll switch video cards and take some pictures. Actually seeing it would be the best way.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'll switch video cards and take some pictures. Actually seeing it would be the best way.

Alright if I had more info to give I would go on msn to chat but that is all I can actually do by being here and you somewhere else over the net lol.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Video card not going into case perfectly.
Posted Image

Cable I'm using
Posted Image

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Video card not going into case perfectly.
Posted Image

Cable I'm using
Posted Image

Video card not going into case perfectly? Looks fine to me. It is common not to have a 100% perfect fit as the workmanship of the cases / brackets on video cards can vary. You might of gotten a little bit more room to play if you kept pressure onto the mobo towards the I/O slot on the back of the case then screwing down the mobo onto the standoffs. You are fine on that and it is irrelevant to the video card not working. This has nothing to do with the video card but did you remember to put the mobo standoffs into the case before you screwed down the mobo?

Back to the video card..

As long as the video card is inserting into the pci express slot fine then you are good to go. You really only need to secure the video card with the top screw anyhow but I could get the bottom screw to go in.

Seems like a power issue or you got a bad video card. If you try everything I suggested even trying the Y Power adapter that normally comes with all video cards and it still does not work then odds are you got a DOA video card. It happens sometimes.. Did you end up getting a newer power supply by the way or did you keep your old?

If your old card works fine and the new does not and you have tried everything possible then I think you know the answer. Bad new video card.

Advertisements

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I don't see how I would connect the Y cable.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I don't see how I would connect the Y cable.

It was just the final suggestion for Troubleshooting.

You don't see how to connect the power cable included with the video card?

Unplug the PCI E power cable that is already connected to the card, then plug in the power cable that came with the video card. On the other end with the 2 molex connectors, just connect it to 2 of the molex connectors on the same rail on the PSU. It is not very hard and this is the LAST troubleshooting I can come up with as it does not hurt to try.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I tried to push them into the only two molex things, and only one of them went in.
The thing I got it in, was coming from the CD drive, and the other one from somewhere else...

I guess I'll have to wait until monday or something, until I can call MSI, and hopefully get a refund, or maybe NewEgg. [bleep] this is going to be hard, I don't even know how to ship things.

I'm going to bed. I'll view this topic tomorrow.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I tried to push them into the only two molex things, and only one of them went in.
The thing I got it in, was coming from the CD drive, and the other one from somewhere else...

I guess I'll have to wait until monday or something, until I can call MSI, and hopefully get a refund, or maybe NewEgg. [bleep] this is going to be hard, I don't even know how to ship things.

I'm going to bed. I'll view this topic tomorrow.

Did you not get a new power supply as I suggested on your other Thread? I see that you said you got one but did you end up getting a diff brand?

You should give the video card its own RAIL not connected to any other devices for best results..

Ya you have to have the correct ends coming off of the psu or it will not fit in.

Good luck.

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 09:12 PM.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Yes I did get that power supply you suggested.

Some people have been telling me to reformat my harddrive, so maybe I should try that. I'll lose everything though, so I need something to back it all up.

Do you know anything about returning to NewEgg? I don't know how to ship stuff bigger than a letter.

Edited by zestron, 10 January 2009 - 09:33 AM.