Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HD taking 100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

luis555

luis555

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have an external harddrive that's been working fine up until yesterday, when i turn it on and open it up to see the files, the cpu usage all of a sudden spikes to 100% and stays there, i have this hd for saving movies only, and when i try to watch a movie, its really choppy and slow.
ive ran disk checks and defragmented it a few times but it still does it, i tried turning it off for a while and plugging it back in to a different usb port but its still the same.
any suggestions?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
One of your files is probably corrupted. If you have your computer setup to display Thumbnails while trying to view the files on your external, then that may be the reason why the CPU usage is spiking as you're browsing the drive. Change the view to "list" or "details" so windows doesn't have to cache all those files.

About locating the the corrupted file, I don't know how to do it without playing every file individually and seeing if your CPU starts spiking. When you play the corrupted one, you'll know.

luis555

luis555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
its not set to thumbnails, its set to details, same as always
and a very curious detail that i just found out is that the problem only happens if the folder is open, so if for example i open a movie from the hd and then close the folder, it'll run ok, but if the folder is open then the CPU usage spikes and the video slows down

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I still think one of your files is corrupted, although normally, only in thumbnail view will simply viewing the folder cause a problem.

Here's what you might try...

Open the drive and create new folder. Move the files one by one into the new folder. I'm thinking that once you move the problem file, the CPU usage will cease.

I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Edited by makai, 10 January 2009 - 04:04 AM.