Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting from scratch....

• Please log in to reply

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Okay if you will go to the following link and download the spreadsheet I would appreciate it. I'm needing some help to find out if all the hardware I have selected will work together. Also, I have no case. I can't seem to find one to work with the motherboard.

If anyone can recommend me a better, cheaper, or both hardware let me know!

As for the DVD Drive. I am wanting one that doesn't take about 2 hours to burn a dvd.

http://rapidshare.com/files/181603179/customcomputer.xls

It's attached.. if u don't want rapidshare link.

Attached Files

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 09 January 2009 - 09:42 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Okay if you will go to the following link and download the spreadsheet I would appreciate it. I'm needing some help to find out if all the hardware I have selected will work together. Also, I have no case. I can't seem to find one to work with the motherboard.

As for the DVD Drive. I am wanting one that doesn't take about 2 hours to burn a dvd.

http://rapidshare.com/files/181603179/customcomputer.xls

I don't like rapidshare. Can you just upload a txt file using the browse / upload button below or just paste in links to this tread.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
NOt really. It's in an excel spread sheet and putting it into a txt file wil royally screw it up.

Uploaded a zip file... try that.

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 09 January 2009 - 09:42 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey everything looks fine and is compatible, the dvd drive is fine they are all about the same in that price range as I have an LG also.

You might can save a little by going with a cheaper mobo but that is a good pick and I also recommend to go ahead and buy 4gb of ram total since DDR2 ram is so cheap now..

As for a case any standard ATX case will work you have so many to pick from and I leave that up to the customer always when I build them.

If you are stuck on that budget it is a good overall build but for $250-$300 more you can go the Intel core i7 route as they are faster chips but the mobos are expensive for them and the DDR3 ram is more expensive.

For $1200 you really cannot go wrong with that build. Sooner or later they will be lowering the video card prices very slightly as newer and newer cards are coming out quickly.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Awesome!.. Yea I think i wanna stay with DDR2 ram right now, LOL... I was looking up the price for that and an i7 chip and OMGosh its very expensive, lol. I'll save that for later on in the future when i can actually afford it without a problem. LOL

Thank you so much for confirming that tey work together and that I actually chose great products!

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 13 January 2009 - 06:28 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Awesome!.. Yea I think iwanna stay with DDR2 ram righjt now, LOL... I was looking up the price for that and an i7 chip and OMGosh its very expensive, lol. I'll save that for later on in the future when i can actually arrod it without a problem. LOL

Thank you so much for confirming that tey work together and that I actualyl chose great products!

Ya stay with that build but do me a favor and get 4gb of ram total. You will thank me. If you will be playing any of these newer games you will want over 2gb of ram..

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Yea, I was thinking about that, lol..

Will the computer recognize more than 3 GB of RAM? Everyone i ask says it windows doesn't overclock past 3GB

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yea, I was thinking about that, lol..

Will the computer recognize more than 3 GB of RAM? Everyone i ask says it windows doesn't overclock past 3GB

If you buy the 64 bit windows it will list the full 4GB within WINDOWS. IF you go 32bit it will max 3.25gb or 3.5gb.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Ahh... Howmuch will 64-bit pick up? cuz i justrealized my motherbooard suppots 16GB of RAM

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ahh... Howmuch will 64-bit pick up? cuz i justrealized my motherbooard suppots 16GB of RAM

16gb on vista 64 bit but you will never need 16gb on a desktop pc. 4gb or 6gb max is all you need man lol.

Good luck on build.

Edited by jrm20, 09 January 2009 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
haha thanks.. I tend to over exagurate wihth hardware, lol...

I'll be sure to post pics if and when i get the money to build it all!!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

haha thanks.. I tend to over exagurate wihth hardware, lol...

I'll be sure to post pics if and when i get the money to build it all!!!

Sounds good man!

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
If I can have any ATX Case how is this possible? The cases I've been Looking at that are ATX full tower cases doesn't seem like they will work with the motherboard including the new one I've chosen.

I wanna know which motherboard is the latest and greatest off of http://usa.asus.com/...px?l1=3&l2=149... Anyone know :)

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 13 January 2009 - 06:30 PM.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
How's this?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121361 <<---- Motherboard

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115202 >>---- Processor

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, those choices look fine. You will need DDR3 RAM, though.