Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I just bought a new Seagate 160GB hard drive and am wondering if the drive already comes formatted so that it's ready to pop into the computer and load my OS, or do I need to run Seagate's DiscWizard Utility in order to format the drive before I load my OS?

Thanks,

Greg

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, new drives must be formatted and initialized before they can become usable to store data. After you have plugged in your new hard drive (be sure the computer is shut down during this process) proceed to read the directions here by bleeping computer that'll give you step by step directions. Be sure that you do not format your bootable drive. In the event that do you so, it'll erase all data on the drive. Assuming you only have one drive installed, the drive you DO NOT want to format will likely be assigned the drive letter C.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2009 - 10:27 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

No, new drives must be formatted and initialized before they can become usable to store data. After you have plugged in your new hard drive (be sure the computer is shut down during this process) proceed to read the directions here by bleeping computer that'll give you step by step directions. Be sure that you do not format your bootable drive. In the event that do you so, it'll erase all data on the drive. Assuming you only have one drive installed, the drive you DO NOT want to format will likely be assigned the drive letter C.
James

It looks to me like the link you refer me to shows step by step instructions for partitioning and formatting a hard drive via Windows XP. So am I supposed to pop in my Windows XP installation CD, install the OS, then afterwards partition and format the hard drive? I thought the hard drive was supposed to be partitioned and formatted before installing the OS?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm sorry, I read your original post wrong. You are replacing your old drive and installing the OS on your new drive, correct?
James

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I'm sorry, I read your original post wrong. You are replacing your old drive and installing the OS on your new drive, correct?
James

Yes, that's correct. I bought a used computer recently and reformatted that hard drive then reinstalled my OS, but in doing that I used Seagate's DiscWizard to wipe the drive clean before installing the OS. Now that I've bought this new hard drive, I'm not even sure I need to use the DiscWizard for any reason. I was hoping it was as simple as installing the new hard drive into the computer case, connecting the power and IDE cable, then inserting my OS installation CD upon start up. I'm just not sure that's the proper procedure.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I was hoping it was as simple as installing the new hard drive into the computer case, connecting the power and IDE cable, then inserting my OS installation CD upon start up. I'm just not sure that's the proper procedure.

If you want to make your new hard drive your primary hard drive, the above is all you need to do. The XP installation will do all the work such as formating and initializing the hard drive.
James

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I was hoping it was as simple as installing the new hard drive into the computer case, connecting the power and IDE cable, then inserting my OS installation CD upon start up. I'm just not sure that's the proper procedure.

If you want to make your new hard drive your primary hard drive, the above is all you need to do. The XP installation will do all the work such as formating and initializing the hard drive.
James

Ahh, ok...I'll pop the OS installation CD in, load the OS and then follow the instructions on the link you provided. Thanks for your help.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you are only using one drive in your computer, you don't need to follow the directions in that link. Are you using one hard drive or two, I think we might be talking about two different issues here.....
James

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

If you are only using one drive in your computer, you don't need to follow the directions in that link. Are you using one hard drive or two, I think we might be talking about two different issues here.....
James

I'm just using the one drive. I'm not leaving the old hard drive in (it was very old). So this new hard drive is replacing the old one.

Edited by konakula29er, 09 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ok, then the instructions that I posted in my first reply do not apply to your situation. Ignore them and simply install the drive in the case and then turn the computer back on and follow through the windows XP installation.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 January 2009 - 11:20 PM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Ok, then the instructions that I posted in my first reply do not apply to your situation. Ignore them and simply install the drive in the case and then turn the computer back on and follow through the windows XP installation.
James

Gotcha! Is it a good idea to partition this drive? When the old 40GB hard drive was in, I didn't partition it because it was so small, but now that I'm installing this 160GB hard drive, should I partition?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Some people do, some don't. I don't feel that it's necessary, but it wouldn't hurt anything to do it if you wanted to.
James

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Some people do, some don't. I don't feel that it's necessary, but it wouldn't hurt anything to do it if you wanted to.
James

OK, thank you!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, if you have any questions or concerns, you know where to come and ask.
Good luck on the installation. :)
James

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I'll do that :)