Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop with vista having trouble with connect icon

• Please log in to reply

cs00052

cs00052

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have not had much trouble with Vista until recently. The internet connection icon now has a red "x" over it even when i am obviously connected (as i am now). It does this no matter where i am and if i am directly connected or wirelessly connected. It's not a huge problem it's just annoying and i don't know why it randomly started to do this. Also, when i go to the "connect to" in my start menu, it takes 5-10 minutes to pull up after i click on it. It's a pain when i am at a new place and have to connect to the internet because it takes so long for the menu to come up. Why has it just started doing all this weird stuff and why with the internet???

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start search" in Vista).
Type in:
cmd
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

At Command Prompt, type in:
ping www.google.com > ping.txt
Hit Enter.

In Window Explorer navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_name (C:\Users\your_name in Vista)
Double click on ping.txt to open it in Notepad.
Copy all text, and post it in your next reply.

rondenath

rondenath

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same issue so followed the instruction. Here is the text:

Pinging www.l.google.com [74.125.47.103] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 74.125.47.103: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=242 Reply from 74.125.47.103: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=242 Reply from 74.125.47.103: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=242 Reply from 74.125.47.103: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=242 Ping statistics for 74.125.47.103: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
rondenath
You need to start your own topic.