Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble shooting with new build

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hey it's Jack again.
Put together a PC for a friend and I am having some problems trouble shooting it.
I first installed Vista and things were going smoothly.
Was installing drivers left and right then I had to restart.
After the restart the little windows load bar would come up and the then nothing but a black screen (NOT no signal but black), and the keyboard seems to be off on account that the num lock and other lights are not on too.

However I can get into Vista in safe mode. But I don't know what to do. Regular mode will not work. Have also tried reinstalling Vista on the disk and it is doing the same thing.

My thoughts are that it is some kind of software issue. Windows boots ok until I restart to install drivers.

Willing to try any suggestions, Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey it's Jack again.
Put together a PC for a friend and I am having some problems trouble shooting it.
I first installed Vista and things were going smoothly.
Was installing drivers left and right then I had to restart.
After the restart the little windows load bar would come up and the then nothing but a black screen (NOT no signal but black), and the keyboard seems to be off on account that the num lock and other lights are not on too.

However I can get into Vista in safe mode. But I don't know what to do. Regular mode will not work. Have also tried reinstalling Vista on the disk and it is doing the same thing.

My thoughts are that it is some kind of software issue. Windows boots ok until I restart to install drivers.

Willing to try any suggestions, Thanks.

Go into safe mode and try to delete the last known driver that may have caused the issue, You will have to troubleshoot it yourself as it could be anything. You can even try going on a different computer and looking for updated drivers and reinstall them on the newer pc by a usb drive or a CD-R.

Google your mobo's model and see if anyone else has had the same issue, it could possibly be by the drivers included onto the mobo's cd as I have had that happen to me before and all I did was updated it to the newest drivers from the net. Some mobos have bs software which will actually cause the problems you are stating and you really do not need.

Make sure you only install the necessary chipset, network card etc drivers and none of that other unneeded software and see if the problem stops.

At last resort you can uninstall all of the drivers that you installed while on Windows then see if the problem arises. Then look for all new drivers on the net after you get only the networking drivers installed as you need those to get onto the internet and you should not have to restart the pc. OR skip that part and go to a different pc and download the drivers on the net then put on a cd-r or usb drive. This would be a last troubleshooting resort.

I think you are right about a driver issue, I wish I knew which one it was lol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Thanks for confirming that it is a driver issue.
Going to mess around to see what I can do.

Can't seem to find the mobo drivers online for some reason:
http://www.newegg.co.....20P45 Neo2-FR
http://www.msicomput.......FR&class=mb

PS: Since it does boot all the way to Vista before the install of drivers, you don't think that flashing the BIOS would help do you?

Edited by jackflash1991, 10 January 2009 - 10:31 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

PS: Since it does boot all the way to Vista before the install of drivers, you don't think that flashing the BIOS would help do you?

No, flashing the BIOS won't help in this scenario. You'd be updating the micro code of your board, rather then changing data on your hard drive.
Based on my personal experience, when you have a issue like this, it's often faster to simply reformat then to track down the exact driver causing the conflict, but this is entirely up to you.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 January 2009 - 11:44 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

No, flashing the BIOS won't help in this scenario. You'd be updating the micro code of your board, rather then changing data on your hard drive.
Based on my personal experience, when you have a issue like this, it's often faster to simply reformat then to track down the exact driver causing the conflict, but this is entirely up to you.
James

Yeah on his first post he said he tried reinstalling vista so IDK if that meant a full harddrive format first or not.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yeah I formatted the drive and reinstalled. I think the problem is the Nvidia graphic driver. The default drivers work but once the Nvidia drivers are installed, it will not load. Still tinkering with it. How could I fix this? I need the graphic drivers to play games on it, but those same drivers are preventing Vista to load.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah I formatted the drive and reinstalled. I think the problem is the Nvidia graphic driver. The default drivers work but once the Nvidia drivers are installed, it will not load. Still tinkering with it. How could I fix this? I need the graphic drivers to play games on it, but those same drivers are preventing Vista to load.

Go to the nvidia website and get the very latest video card drivers for VISTA on another pc and save to usb drive or cd-r and then install or try to install / download on the new pc you are having trouble with.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Haha. :) Looks like I got it working. Not sure what I did exactly but it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the help.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Haha. :) Looks like I got it working. Not sure what I did exactly but it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for the help.

LOL your welcome.