Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp cruppt files

• Please log in to reply

marko34

marko34

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi my name is mark an im trying to help my brother to fix his pc so i downloaded logmein an done a remote contol of his pc an i found out alot of his xp files an progrems files are corupted an the windows update want install framework 2.. i unistalled alot of the corupted progrems like avast an ect.. but some files still got left behind becouse they were unreadable... so is there a good free softwere out there besides ccleaner that will fix the files or is there a web site were i can get all the files wat got corupted....
so pls can anyone help me couse it would be very mutch presharated as he cant aford to buy a windows disk as it came preinstalled an got brougt 2nd hand

thanx

Advertisements

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
there is a reason stuff get's corrupted. Hard drive might be having some problems. File assassin can remove stubborn files. Also i would recommend going to command prompt and doing chkdsk /r then say yes to do it when computer restarts and restart.

Edited by yevgenievich, 10 January 2009 - 12:44 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

marko34

marko34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanx i will give that a try... he has xp sever pack 3 an if i reinstalled xp severs pack 3 that should repare all the window files shouldnt it??? becouse it cames as an update

thanks again

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Service pack won't repair any corrupted system files.
sfc may.

marko34

marko34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tryed file assassin but the XT177.tmp file af avast still wont delet

marko34

marko34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
what is missing shared dll c\windows\system32\unicows.dll becouse the ccleaner picket it up as a regustry problem..... is that bad or can i have it removed by ccleaner

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
unicows.dll file doesn't belong to Windows XP.
It's present in Windows 95, 98, and ME.

I think, your best bet is to start with this...
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

marko34

marko34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi again i have ren pc recovery an when the pc restarted it went to a red scren an stopt... dose anyone kno wata red screen means becouse i only kno of blue screens... an can you acsess the internet in safe mode?

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
not sure where you getting a red screen or how, but if you lounch safe mode with networking it will let you get on the net. So where exactly do you get the red screen?

marko34

marko34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi yevgenievich thay got the red sceen just after the pc loaded an just before windows login but that was becouse that didnt let the pc recovary do its job proprly so i told them to do it again an let it finish doing wat its goto do an now evrythinks working fine but i still cant help them delete a cruppted avast file even kno i tryed deleting it on reboot it just want go

an i would like to say thanx to all the staff an members for all ya help