Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home - Log on/log off problem

• Please log in to reply

murk1

murk1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
blarg... downloaded some serious virus, cleaned with kaspersky, Maybe? now got the log on log off prob. Followed thread advice regarding booting from xp disc and repairing, at least the login page looks like it used to, but still can't log in , when I try to do the copy userinit thing, is says cannot find the file or directory... what now?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello murk1...

Is the machine you're posting from and the broken machine both running XP?

wannabe1

murk1

murk1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
yep, both machines. Broken desktop with xp pro, using laptop to search for a fix.. Just tried to download a disk called rc.iso, open in power iso, add the userinit from this laptop, run it on the desktop, get blue death error, starts to run like xp recovery then stops and says a problem is detected we stopped, reboot.

murk1

murk1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried the simple copy userinit to wsaupdater fix, can't find file, then I did some crazy dos rebuild the registry thing, did not work, then this make a rc disk and add the init file from this compy, did not work. I am bummed.

I went to this article and did all they said
www.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/2

Edited by murk1, 01 August 2009 - 02:32 PM.

skagit

skagit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had the same log-on / log-off problem with two computers (customers) running WIN XP PRO. The problem was initially generated by the "Internet Security 2010" spy ware and was brought on by letting "Spybot Search and Destroy" fix all the problems it found. I unsuccesfully tried all the above suggested fixes from a WinXP boot CD then running "repair console".

I looked for a way to get "ERD Commander 2005" and found Microsoft has control of it and you have to have a volumn license to get it from them.

I went to eBay, bought a CD with many other usefull tools, made the ERD boot CD and then found I could gain access to the restore feature. That solved my problem on both computers.

Before the log-on / log-off problem I was not able to restore to a earlier date because of the spyware issue.

Other than knowing I had to restore to earlier registry settings, I don't know exactly where the problem was in the registry. I have another computer to look at tomorow with the same issue. I will look at the regitry keys (Using ERD Commander 2005) for boot up and see what the difference is. I will repost a update.

Thanks to all who led me to the much appreciated solution.

Tom

Edited by skagit, 27 January 2010 - 01:17 AM.