Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop blank after pressing power button

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi guys,
Firstly, I did something rather silly. I checked in my laptop. I really wrapped it well though with all my clothes! Anyway, Now I switch on the laptop and NOTHING comes on screen. No flicker, no boot, no BSOD.

The power LED stays on and then a few flickers of the HDD LED. Then nothing progresses.

Previous to this, I pulled out the RAM and put it back in (but I dont think that can be a cause for a laptop not booting like this)

Additionally, when I press the caps lock, it doesnt change the LED on my laptop. Doesnt that mean that the whole thing is unresponsive to any input?? i.e. the computer never even booted??

Thanks for help!

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Sorry to hear that your laptop went baggage class. Check to make sure that your hard drive hasn't shifted slightly, (I just had a case where the drive actually disengaged completely when a college student obviously dropped the laptop). Yours may be just out enough so that the device cannot initialize. If you checked it through then it may have also been fried by the super strength x-rays that the checked items experience. I'd 1st make sure that the hard drive was properly in place, and if it looks ok, I'd try to start up with the drive disconnected, (see if the laptop wakes up without the drive attached).

Good luck

PS: Also remove the battery from the laptop. I've had some where the battery being present caused the exact symptoms that you're describing...

Edited by Mark D, 10 January 2009 - 08:13 AM.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I just did what you suggested. Still nothing.

If my laptop's been fried by the x-rays as you mentioned, then its basically finished right??

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I was just looking up how to make the best use of my laptop parts since it was a lost cause... But decided to give a last ditch effort to take out the RAM modules and replace. It's FIXED!!! Didnt expect it to be RAM, but should have given it more thought to be honest!

ANOTHER QUESTION: Is there a good and comprehensive online manual/guide to "recycling" laptop parts?? As in how to re-use parts of it?? I want to use my old laptop's screen as a DIY project.... any tips??

Thanks again

Edited by domyue, 10 January 2009 - 02:54 PM.

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Glad to hear that it was just some loose chips. Baggage is handled a bit rough. As far as using an old notebook screen for something else, you would need to identify all the signal and power wires in the ribbon cable and make a special connection that would allow you to connect it to another device. You would need the wiring diagram for the screen basically. They don't normally release that info with what you get with the laptop, but it might be available on the web. Search for a technical manual for your notebook model. Don't be surprised if they ask for a credit card...

Good luck

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks,

And if I do get such schematics, what can I then turn to for translating the info into something practical??

i.e. assuming I can connect up wires to the relevant wiring on the monitor, then how do I get the drivers to make it work??