Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

::[Cheap]:: AMD Gaming PC. The Way to Go?

• Please log in to reply

yeye

yeye

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Im making myself a Gaming computer, so building it myself.. (Going to use instructions thats on this site) Anyway heres a list of computer parts i chose from a site, which i got for around 1200$ Which isnt much here in norway for a computer.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ Socket AM2 3.1GHz 1MB 65NM 76W (ADV6000DOBOX)

MSI K9A2 CF-F, AMD 790X, DDR2, ATX, Socket-AM2+, GBLAN, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16 (K9A2-CF-F)

SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 320GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB (ST3320613AS)

SAMSUNG DVD Recorder 22x +R/+RW -R/-RW Lightscribe SATA Sort Bulk (Nero) (SH-S223Q/BEBN)

OCZ TECH StealthXStream 600W PSU / Silent 120 mm fan / 83% Efficiency (OCZ600SXS-EU)

Aerocool Aero Engine Plus ATX, 140mm Vifte i front, 180mm Vifte i siden - Sort (BLACK-EN2139)

ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-E DVI HDMI HDTV (EAH4850/HTDI/512M)

G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Non-ECC CL5 (F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT)

Will this work? Is it a good computer? Is AMD so bad?

Well i tryd with Intel parts, But a Intel Core 2 Duo, is so much more money + the mainbord is much worse when its Intel Based. i.e I only get 1 PCI-Ex(NOT 2.0!) for same price as the one i got above. So The only thing is that Intel is better processor..

Need ur advise.

Hope my english is ok.

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
AMD isn't bad by any means, Intel has just had superior processors for a long since 2006 now. As far as gaming goes, the difference between going Intel or AMD at this point is negligible. The benefit of going AMD is that your motherboard will support AMDs newest processors released just a few days ago. So upgrading will be much cheaper once you decide to do so. Overall, you've got a great build going here, but you forgot to add an OS and I'd recommend you look into 4GB of RAM, the difference between a 2GB kit and 4GB kit is relatively small and will extend the life of your computer. Other then that, good luck on the build.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 January 2009 - 11:39 AM.

yeye

yeye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

but you forgot to add an OS and I'd recommend you look into 4GB of RAM, the difference between a 2GB kit and 4GB kit is relatively small and will extend the life of your computer.

OS . I think will be windows XP for now. And i forgot to write that i was going to buy 2x 2GB RAM 800Mhz :) , Thanks for answer. Il Buy this then. And since its an easy to upgrade which is good. And AMD parts are cheap, is just perfect for me. Ty

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya I looked it over also earlier but did not have time to post. It is a good overall build on a budget and you will be happy with the result. Gskill is good ram I have used it more lately than any other ram.

You could get by with the stock cpu fan but maybe look for an aftermarket one which would help keep the cpu even cooler.

yeye

yeye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
But I was Wondering on getting better graphic card. Any suggestions? ATI Radeon 4870 maybe, spend that extra buck, worth it?

Maybe the GTX 260? :)

EDIT: Found a GTX 260 Core OC , which seems to be nearly, if not AS good as the GTX 280 WOOOT!?

Edited by yeye, 11 January 2009 - 05:33 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

But I was Wondering on getting better graphic card. Any suggestions? ATI Radeon 4870 maybe, spend that extra buck, worth it?

EDIT: Found a GTX 260 Core OC , which seems to be nearly, if not AS good as the GTX 280 WOOOT!?

Ya it would be worth considering as I have seen the new benchmarks and you get close to the performance of the gtx280. Overall that new 260 is the best performance for the money on the (newer series).

An improved version of the GTX260 was introduced, featuring 216 cores instead of 192 on the original design like you are talking about and the 216 core version is faster than a HD4870 but you do pay a little more. You could get a HD4870 for $205 but overall the new revised Gtx260 will beat the hd4870 in EVERY game and it is quite a bit faster lol.

I would go for this one..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130434

good benchmarks for you to look at..

http://www.firingsqu...hader/page6.asp

http://www.fudzilla....c...9&Itemid=40

In my opinion that is the best price to performance card out right now and do not listen to the ATI fanboys. Obviously we have a winner here.

at $260-$270 and about $55 more than the ati hd4870 you gain a lot more performance for the money. I don't see how you could go wrong with the newer gtx260 with 216 processing cores.

For a gaming pc you always want to get the fastest video card you can afford and the CPU is not so much important if you already have a fairly high end cpu and the cpu you picked out is good.

Edited by jrm20, 11 January 2009 - 11:25 AM.

yeye

yeye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Ya it would be worth considering as I have seen the new benchmarks and you get close to the performance of the gtx280. Overall that new 260 is the best performance for the money on the (newer series).

An improved version of the GTX260 was introduced, featuring 216 cores instead of 192 on the original design like you are talking about and the 216 core version is faster than a HD4870 but you do pay a little more. You could get a HD4870 for $205 but overall the new revised Gtx260 will beat the hd4870 in EVERY game and it is quite a bit faster lol.

In my opinion that is the best price to performance card out right now and do not listen to the ATI fanboys. Obviously we have a winner here.

at $260-$270 and about $55 more than the ati hd4870 you gain a lot more performance for the money. I don't see how you could go wrong with the newer gtx260 with 216 processing cores.

For a gaming pc you always want to get the fastest video card you can afford and the CPU is not so much important if you already have a fairly high end cpu and the cpu you picked out is good.

Thanks for answer :) But about processor, the AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual Core 2.7GHz 3MB cache AM2+ Black Edition, Its an Amd Phenom but not Quad but Dual, and it seems to be better than the Athlon 6000+ 3,1GHz? or is it? thats my question! :) Its newer and seems to get pretty much same benchmarks as the 6000+ 3,1 GHz, but if i can overclock the 7750 , wouldnt that be better?..

Well Ty

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks for answer :) But about processor, the AMD Athlon X2 7750 Dual Core 2.7GHz 3MB cache AM2+ Black Edition, Its an Amd Phenom but not Quad but Dual, and it seems to be better than the Athlon 6000+ 3,1GHz? or is it? thats my question! :) Its newer and seems to get pretty much same benchmarks as the 6000+ 3,1 GHz, but if i can overclock the 7750 , wouldnt that be better?..

Well Ty

The AMD Athlon X2 7750 is not a phenom its still a Athlon X2. The black edition means you can overclock it higher as the multiplier is unlocked so its easier.. Either one is fine and really are about the same you will not notice a difference between the 2 with your eyes anyway.

The x2 7750 has more cache 3mb compared to the 2mb of the athlon 6000+ x2.

I like the black edition 7750 better but that is because I like to overclock and that has the better features.