Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built New Pc - Can't Boot from Windows Disk

• Please log in to reply

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: I put together a new machine with an Asus A8 V Deluxe Motherboard and it won't boot from the CD-ROM. it seems to recognize the cd-rom in the BIOS, but when i put the windows CD that i bought in the drive it won't boot from there.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
have you set the BIOS to allow it to boot from CD? go into boot order, make sure the CD is listed before the hard drive.

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
in the BIOS i have the cd rom selected as the only option for booting. the hard drive is not formatted yet. it is brand new. is that an issue?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
assuming you are using an IDE HDD, you will want to set it as the next boot priority after the CD.
the windows CD should start its thing, then tell you you need format, and offer to do it.
can you see the CD in BIOS? go to main, and you should see the CD listed on the IDE section near the bottom. if it is not listed, you will need to set that up, according to whether it is a master or slave, and what channel it is on.

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the drive is there, it just never gets started.

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i figured out that problem, the hard drive jumpers were not set to "master". now they are and windows install starts from the cd-rom. an hour or so into my first attempt to install windows, i got the blue screen of death. "windows has shut down in order to avoid damaging your computer" or whatever. it never made it to the point of trying to format my hard drive.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Could you post the rest of your system specs, in particular the CPU, RAM & hard drive? (sata or IDE, size & make)

Can you also tell me - when you moved the CPU to the new board, did you replace the thermal paste or not?

Thanks

Samm

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the help - it is all working now - the problem was a bad hard drive (brand new western digital). slapped a new seagate in there and everything worked.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
ahh i hate when its a parts issue--u try everything and then go nuts when its not really your fault :tazz: Good pickup- im also assuming your a sox fan ;)!!!

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
white sox fan - but i was going crazy rooting for the bo sox last year. can't stand the yankees. computer is all up and running now - this is my first build. i am proud of myself. AMD 64 3200+ with 2Ghz FSB. Seems to run really fast.

ben

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Ahh if its not the Redsox, ill let it slide for the white sox :tazz:, they gotta keep Mags healthy tho this year for a big year...Twins is their only compitition to a playoff spot- i went nuts last year wit the sox v yanks ahh victory waz sweet--

im glad to hear about your computer, lookin forward to building mine with the news from you- i got an amd 64 3400+ which is usually at 2.4 ghz but ill overclock and get a lil more for my money ;)

soxfanben

soxfanben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Maggs is gone - Plays for Detroit now, although he has been hurt all year. All we need is to keep pitching like this. 23-7 now. Can't believe it. GL with the new computer.