Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

M$ Media Player - weird colours

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Several weeks ago, after "normal" operation since installation, Windoze Media Player switched to showing movies as posterized images: as if the contrast had been turned up to max. The images from the web are in two colours only and are just about impossible to see.

I have fiddled with what settings appear to be available but can't see anything that will change what I am seeing.

Having had another look, it appears that Windows Media files are the culprit: jpeg and "Movie Clips" play OK. Web streams are the main problem.

I tried to do a PRScreen as an example, but all the "paste" gave was a black screen!

Any ideas?

Advertisements

lokiman

lokiman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the exact same problem except mine can show 4 or more posterized colors at times.
I'm using WMP 9.
I have had Windows.Media.Video 9 VCM v6.5.4019.0 codec installed for a long time.

Yesterday I installed the Combined Community Codec Pack. It is a barebones pack, includes ffdshow.
It did not help at all. I sure hope someone can help.

--------
Edit - Was searching for info, came across an MS tips page.
It says to try playing file with mplayer2.exe.
It is WMP v6.4 and is in the same folder as the WMP 9 exe.

I had saved some stream files using Replay Media Catcher.
The files that are posterized in v9 play perfectly in v6.4 !!
The files also play fine with Media Player Classic.
If only I knew how to make web streams play with the old WMP 6.4 or MPC all would be solved.

Edited by lokiman, 27 January 2009 - 06:33 PM.

lokiman

lokiman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I found the solution. Problem was caused by ATI graphics card.

http://www.cccp-proj...ayback_Problems

I do not have the (ATI) Catalyst Control Center installed so I had to install ATI Tray Tools.

I followed his instructions and the problem is gone.

I tested 2 files that WMP v9 showed posterized colors on before installing Tray Tools.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Wol
See, if VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ works OK.