Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU fan problem

• Please log in to reply

Zanki

Zanki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I had my pc working fine for around three days, then the cpu fan just started stopping after I turned on my system at random times when I booted up, it never stayed on more than a minute after xp loaded up. I took the fan back to the store I got it from today and they say there's nothing wrong with the fan. I tried it again here and it didn't stay on.
Everything else is working fine, still boots up but the fan just wont stay on. My other case fans are working fine its just that one. I haven't been able to try other fans on it since I'm too scared to try and boot it up without having a fan attached to it, I don't want to ruin my CPU.

I think I posted this in the wrong section, sorry.

Edited by Zanki, 10 January 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I had my pc working fine for around three days, then the cpu fan just started stopping after I turned on my system at random times when I booted up, it never stayed on more than a minute after xp loaded up. I took the fan back to the store I got it from today and they say there's nothing wrong with the fan. I tried it again here and it didn't stay on.
Everything else is working fine, still boots up but the fan just wont stay on. My other case fans are working fine its just that one. I haven't been able to try other fans on it since I'm too scared to try and boot it up without having a fan attached to it, I don't want to ruin my CPU.

Do you happen to have a Gigabyte motherboard or one with a Smart Fan option / feature?

If so look in your bios and post back about any special fan features. If it has an auto option change it off of the AUTO feature or it might be something similar.. You will have to read up on your mobos bios as not every bios is the same. There are many..

Edited by jrm20, 11 January 2009 - 12:09 AM.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Do you happen to have a Gigabyte motherboard or one with a Smart Fan option / feature?

If so look in your bios and post back about any special fan features. If it has an auto option change it off of the AUTO feature or it might be something similar.. You will have to read up on your mobos bios as not every bios is the same. There are many..

I would check the bios, but now the fan stays on for around ten seconds before it dies.

I'm using the nforce 780i SLI motherboard.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I would check the bios, but now the fan stays on for around ten seconds before it dies.

I'm using the nforce 780i SLI motherboard.

Somehow you will need to get into the bios and try turning the CPU fan to 100% so it always stays on or see if it has any Smart fan features like I said.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Is there anyway to do this without having to worry about my cpu, I don't want it to overheat and die, or am I just been worried over nothing?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Is there anyway to do this without having to worry about my cpu, I don't want it to overheat and die, or am I just been worried over nothing?

I don't know of any other way unless maybe a new fan but I doubt that will solve anything as you said they tested the fan and its working.

You could try hooking the fan up to a different fan header on the mobo JUST FOR TESTING purposes and see if the fan stays on. If it turns off on a different fan header then shut the system off and you will not hurt anything..

Some mobos wont allow the pc to boot unless the cpu fan header is plugged in so keep that in mind. IDK the features of your board.

Other things to check
-Check and make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the CPU fan header and not the SYSfan1 etc..

Just be careful when testing, as long as you shut the pc off right after the fan stops spinning you will be fine. If you do get into the bios it has a place that shows the cpu temps.

If you do not feel confident in doing this then just take it to your local computer shop as I do not want you to mess up your pc.

Edited by jrm20, 11 January 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
YAY!!! I fixed it, thanks for all the help. I went into the BIOS and found the fan settings, they had somehow changed themselves back to default which meant the fan would go down to 1% speed which didn't work properly and just stopped. It was a strange problem since I just didn't understand what was going on, its my first build, I had no idea settings in the BIOS could change themselves so easily.... strange but I'm happy now, I can finally get some work done. This pc is dying so my first task will be to transfer all my data onto my new hard drive and try and get that corrupted hard drive to let me copy all the data.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
no problem!