Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with wired network

• Please log in to reply

Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everybody, just joined so this is my first post. I have a feeling I'll be asking more questions than answering so thanks in advance.
I have an HP laptop (vista) that I use and an older desktop (xp) that I use less. I've decided to use the old machine to store files on and connect to it via an ethernet crossover cable hoping that this would be faster than transferring large (500mb) image files over my wireless network. I got a cable and plugged it in and all seemed great, I could see the desktop in the network area of windows explorer and it seemed fast and convenient. But sometimes the laptop won't see the desktop and sometimes it will. Do I just have a bad cable or might there be something else I should do to get more consistent results? Thanks for any help,,,,,,,,

Advertisements