Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will only startup in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

bmav25

bmav25

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I am new to this website but would appreciate any help resolving a problem I am having. I was attempting to remove some malware from my computer through safe mode. I booted through safe mode using msconfig then choosing safe boot. When I attempt to login, I get a error message sayin, "The system could not log you on...". I attempted to restart the computer but now it always boots up in safe mode. I tried to hit F8 and change the boot back to normal, but this did not work. The computer was fully functional when logging in normally.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Did you install SP3 recently ?

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No I have not. There haven't been any major changes made to the computer within the last few weeks or so.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I booted through safe mode using msconfig

Using msconfig to start in Safe Mode often ends up with computer being stuck there. Never do this.
Did you try System Restore?

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ha yea so I am learning. I have attempted to restore to last known good configuration to no avail. But, I am assuming you mean to boot from a cd? If so, no I have not mainly because I'm not sure I have the cd. But, I will most likely have to do some digging.

Any ideas on how to log in, as I am unable to login right now, but if I could I assume I can change the system safe boot setting?

Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You understood fine. I was talking about regular System Restore, not booting from CD.
Since you don't have Windows CD (and you should)...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
You will be at a command prompt window.
At the prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter.
Remove the CD and re-boot.

If the above didn't work, repeat the procedure, but this time type in fixmbr and hit Enter.
Again remove the CD and re-boot.

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I will try this out. Thanks again for all the help. I will post back with results.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No problem :)

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can get to the command prompt, but it seems to only allow one character input.

"Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)?"

typing fixboot returns error:

"Invalid selection. Please select a valid installation number."

Any ideas?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Look closer. You should see this:

Posted Image

Edited by Broni, 10 January 2009 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Of course. I'm sure I am making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I did that, but the administrator password if not working. I am the only user of the computer, therefore there should be only one password, but it is not working. I have also tried just hitting enter, but that obviously does not work. I'm not sure why the computer isn't recognizing the password.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, Recovery Console does this sometimes, even, if no password was set.
Go back to Safe Mode.
Go Start>Run
Type in:
regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry.

Put Recovery Console CD in. Reboot to CD, and try again.

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Not sure if I mentioned previously, but password is not working when trying to log in to safe mode. So I am pretty much locked out of the computer. Again thanks for all your patience.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, at first you said, you can boot to safe mode, so I'm not sure what's going on, and I can't help you with password issues (board rules).

bmav25

bmav25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I guess I didn't type it properly. The system only boots up in safe mode to the login screen. At that point, the password is recognized as incorrect (but shouldn't be). If this means you can't help because of board rules, I understand and truly appreciate the time you have spent helping me. Thanks!