Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Management Instrumentation

• Please log in to reply

Auralis

Auralis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am unable to get WMI to start. I was able to access sites like SilentRunners and http://virusscan.jotti.org/ and upload files for checking, but now I get this error message:

Could not start the WMI service on local computer. Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start.

Earlier this week, my laptop got attacked by a lot of viruses/trojans via MSN, which are now cleared. It is an HP compaq nx9010 running XP Home and I have tried to run an online diagnostic check with HP, but I get this error message.

Posted Image

I also had to contact Microsoft as I was also unable to use Windows Updates, but that has now been rectified.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i swear i answered this earlier

for the first problem

Download the xp-fix from the following page:

windows xp 16-bit subsystem error

for the second, did you disable any services?

Auralis

Auralis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Gerry, I meant to reply earlier and say, I have got it sorted now on both the problems. I rang Microsoft and they talked me through it.

Nope, I didn't disable any of the services. It was the [bleep] viruses that messed them up somehow. I received the virus through MSN which then replicated in various viruses and trojans. :tazz: