Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't reinstal a software

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Recently I realized that one of my software does not work at all. So I removed it and tried to reinstall. After several tries I was unable to start the Setup.exe on the installation CD. I tried to go to the Safe Mode in order to install this software, but for some reason my computer got stuck in the middle of start of the Safe Mode, i.e. after I hit F8 during the start I got to the windows where I can choose the Safe Mode. Then after hitting the Safe Mode the DOS window started scrolling with all kinds of files and after few seconds stopped, i.e. no more scrolling at all and the windows froze. I had to do hard reset in order to get the computer to work in Normal Mode.
What's happening with my laptop? :)
Please help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what program are you trying to install...
what errors does it give...
the more info you give us makes it easier to figure out the problem...

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
the software is ECTACO's Language Teacher 2000. It's a translater.
When I double click on Setup.exe of the installation CD , it seems not responding at all. I mean nothing starts.
But the main problem now is that Windows starting very slow , any application starts very slow plus I can't get in to the Safe Mode.

Edited by mraskin, 12 January 2009 - 05:32 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
because you can't boot into safe mode you will need to repair windows...lowdown is here

if after repairing windows you still can't run the setup.exe from the cd..post back here and we can try a few other options...

Edited by happyrock, 12 January 2009 - 10:47 AM.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
My laptop came with Recovery CD only. I don't have the original Win XP (Home Edition).
I got a bootleg copy of the Win XP (Pro with SP1). Which disk is better for me to use for the repair?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what do you mean by this ...

bootleg copy of the Win XP

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
pirate copy

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
mraskin,

Please review the TOU you agreed to when you joined our site, especially the following:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

The copy you have on your laptop appears to be legit, because it came with the laptop. That is the only version of software we will discuss with you. If you are able to obtain a legal copy of the CD for your laptop, happyrock will be happy to try and help you repair the system. Do not ask for help with any pirated versions at all, or this thread will be closed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can borrow a copy of xp from a friend...family member...coworker...ect....
it HAS to be the same flavor of xp...in your case it has to be xp home...

or you can contact the manufacture and buy a restore disk for your system...about $30.00
this is the best way
or if they say its to old or they can't /won't for any reason go here and they will sell you one for about $30.00

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have the Restore CD for my Toshiba M60-BK3 laptop. That's why I was asking what is prefferable, i.e. whether this CD should be used or I need to get a Win XP (home).

Edited by mraskin, 16 January 2009 - 10:34 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the restore cd that came with the laptop will only wipe the drive and put it back like the day you bought the laptop...you need a retail or OEM cd to do the repair...
it HAS to be the same flavor that's installed already...