Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Quick processor question

• Please log in to reply

db_techno

db_techno

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How would a 1.8ghz dual core relate to a 3.6ghz single core? (3.6 being 1.8 x2)

Is it basically the same, or no?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

How would a 1.8ghz dual core relate to a 3.6ghz single core? (3.6 being 1.8 x2)

Is it basically the same, or no?

It depends on what cpu each is and what architecture / model /Series / Core and AMD OR INTEL..

Many different Variables..

If you would list the 1.8ghz dual core specific model cpu and the 3.6 specific cpu then I would be able to help you easier and tell you which is faster and has more performance.

You said above 3.6 being 1.8x 2.. If it is a single core it cannot be 1.8 x 2.. That is whats so confusing.

Anyway 100% of the time the dual core will be faster than any single core ever made as all Single cores now are very old.. The dual cores will have better architectures and have newer technology.. The only dual cores that ever sucked were the first PENTIUM D dual core processors which this would be the ONLY exception as I know some single core chips that can have more performance than JUST the PENTIUM D Dual core.. Those are OLD technology though by todays standards..

List the specific cpu's and I will tell you more detail..

db_techno

db_techno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh, sorry

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86Ghz 1.87Ghz

So with a game or application that "requires" over 2ghz, I should be fine?

Oh, and there is no 3.6Ghz CPU, I was just saying that since it's dual 1.8, does that mean it's the equivalent of 3.6?

Edited by db_techno, 11 January 2009 - 01:46 AM.