Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 is a mess

• Please log in to reply

RickMath

RickMath

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
After Microsoft sent some updates over the last two days, my IE7 is a mess. every time i open it it goes to a run once page. I can't seem to get out of it. I change it to my home page in options and can get to my favorites (which I hope I have not lost. Then when closing and reopening I go back to the go.microsoft.com page. Can't seem to get rid of the runonce page. I think microsoft has screwed me up again.

Please help. I can't get my work done.

Thanks Rick

More on this. I have tried several fixes even the suggested registry change to add the runonce keys. They worked and then when I rebooted the problem cam back again.

This is a real pain.

Thanks again

Edited by RickMath, 10 January 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uninstall IE7, restart and reinstall again.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I tried to reinstall IE7. It worked fine until I downloaded new security updates from Microsoft. Then the problem came back. MICROSOFT STRIKES AGAIN :)

Can some one please offer something else. This has become exasperating.

Rick

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Have you tried just going through the selections you want? That is the whole purpose of that page; to help configure which settings you want... (I think)

--piano9playa5

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Yes and It will not let me change anything. It says I have exceeded the number allowed for the search selection. It lets me reselect the MSN search and them goes to MSN as my home page.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
What's the registry fix you've tried? I've done this before and it's worked fine. This is the solution I used. If you're going to use this, you should back up the registry first, since it will modify it. ERUNT is a good tool for doing this, and that link includes instructions.

ePost

ePost

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The last time I experienced this it was done by malware. Microsoft don't change peoples homepages via a trivial routine update.

Edited by ePost, 11 January 2009 - 03:18 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This is not malware, it is an error experienced by many people. Please don't try to identify malware where none exists.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
There is no Malware. I used Malwarebytes to check it. Everytime Microsoft sends and update for IE7 the problem persists. Have tried several fixes found in a search for the problem in google. None seem to work.

The registry app IE7 Runonce Remover 1.05 did not seem to fix the problem.

I am also running AdWatch but have the registry modification blocker disabled.

What else can I tell you?

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Try using Firefox.

Its a much better and faster browser all around.

Edit: btw I know this doesnt fix your IE problem, but IE isnt a great browser anyway.

I recomend Firefox from personal experience, even the Safari browser for windows is better than IE.

Edited by wambo, 15 January 2009 - 09:21 AM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
wambo, while I agree that Firefox is a better browser, that doesn't fix the problem. There are times that IE is needed - I've been to sites that don't work properly on Firefox, and Windows update requires IE.

Rickmath - are you saying every time you get an update to IE the runonce reappears? As if the registry key keeps getting reset?

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Sari,

I know that but I was just voicing my opinion to him. Sorry if thats a problem.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I understand, but it's more beneficial to the original poster if you have some actual insight to the problem.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Sari

Yes it seems that whenever I get an update from micorsoft the problem reappears. After much work in going through the runonce thing. I am able to get my homepage reset. Yes it seems to alter the registry. Sometimes the update even kills all the keys in the registry and even if I recreate the runonce keys they do not stay in the registry. Hope this helps to understand the problem. Let me know if I can provide more information.

Yes I agree with the comment by wambo, but Firefox alone does not solve the issue as there are some applications that must have ie7 present. Wambo - thanks for your comments, but remember that the experts at Geeks to go give their time and experience to help us all solve problems like this. I have used the site before and eventually have solved problems. Not to be unfriendly, but simply saying use something else does not sove the problem.

OK that said, I will wait for suggestions from Sari and others on the GTG staff to help.

Rick

Edited by RickMath, 15 January 2009 - 11:46 PM.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Totally undestand dude.

I wasnt trying to say "blah use firefox dont use IE"

was more a kind of temp fix and my opinion.

Sorry mate.