Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't connect to Internet although pc will

• Please log in to reply

monkeymartha

monkeymartha

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please be gentle - I am a techno-dullard and I need really simple advice. Please don't be afraid that you are patronising me - believe me, you won't be!

So for the last week I can't get an internet connection on my Toshiba laptop which runs with Window xp.
I have a BTHomeHub wireless connection which I used for both my pc and laptop. The connection itself seems fine (hence can use the pc) but laptop will not play ball.

I have looked on the Connectivity Doctor provided with the laptop and I have got the following message:
"IP address was not set properly.(c-19)"

It then says the possible solutions for this are:

"Check with network provider to make sure DHCP is working properly.(a-24)
Check communication device for Bridged settings as you may need to disable the Bridge or reconfigure.(a-15)
Make sure that the MAC address filtering of the Access Point is set properly.(a-37)
Restart the Access Point or Router.(a-19)"

Lovely. Now what does that mean in English?

Thanks in advance. I'd be really grateful for any advice at all.

Advertisements

monkeymartha

monkeymartha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had a look through the links below and a lot of them suggest putting commands using the CMD function... so I've tried this and usually get a message that I can't do this function. It says "The requested function requires elevation"

???

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey monkeymartha,

Its been a while since you started this thread; can you please let me know if you're still experiencing issues with your laptop?

I've had a look through the links below and a lot of them suggest putting commands using the CMD function... so I've tried this and usually get a message that I can't do this function. It says "The requested function requires elevation"

This is a common message and simply means that you need to log in as an Administrator, or give the appropriate permissions -- are you sure your laptop uses XP? This is usually seen on Vista machines. Let me know for sure which OS you are running and then we'll fix this if necessary.

I assume that at one point your laptop was connecting to the Internet fine?

- Dan

monkeymartha

monkeymartha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Dan

Thanks so much for reply - yes you're tight it IS vista (DER) but I have also been able to sort the problem, just by turning the HomeHub off for 10 mins, which did the trick and is fine again. Hoorah - but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Great website!

Monkeymartha :)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm glad to hear you managed to resolve your problem :) Thanks for letting us know how you did it too; it will hopefully help future forum browsers.