Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disable firewall in Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

Obscene90

Obscene90

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys....i got a file sharing software called LIMEWIRE 4.8.1.
I can't download anything,cuz my computers behind a firewall or router
How can i disable my firewall and start downloading songs???????I'm really desperate for some help and i was wondering if one of you'll could help me out.Please email to me

*Edited by an Administrator to remove user's email address. It is not a good idea to post your address on a public board

Please....i'm realllyyy desperate for some help..Thanks a ton.

Edited by ~Kat~, 06 May 2005 - 02:42 AM.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Obscene90 Which Firewall do you use? disabling your firewall and then downloading files is prob not the best idea. I would guess going to a Peer to Peer network unprotected would trash your machine sooner or later. Prop sooner. I suppose you wish to know how to configure your system to allow LIMEWIRE to access the internet. Really downloading files (ie music) like that is not the best idea in the world. You can easily download something else with your music like viruses, et al!!! At the least use a good antivirus program like AVG, which anti virus program do you use?

Also remember Copy Write Laws do exist and like it or not Big Brother is watching us all. Pray for a Revolution if ya wish but I don't see it coming any time soon.

I have never used Limewire but from what i gather it claims to be spyware/malware free. Be aware that some of the P2P programs install lots of nasty stuff on your machine. You might want to see http://www3.ca.com/s...px?id=453088059 or http://www.wellesley...P/limewire.html. They claim it has spyware and the like bundled with Limewire. I don't know nor am I about to install it here just to see... I do that somethings cause I learn about spyware that way but right now am too busy to deal with it if it does install a lot of crap. It is at least time consuming to remove that stuff.

Perhaps another member has more experience with Limewire and can tell you more about its status as spyware. It also seems to be Open Source code and that at least is a plus. One can examine modify and even compile the code to know for sure exactly what the App does!!

You might want to consider http://www.gnucleus.com/Gnucleus/ instead. :tazz:

Good luck
StarHawk

------------------------

"Free means Free don't it?" Abbie Hoffman