Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Protecting your Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply

IaBi

IaBi

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hello,
Can anyone tell me how i can password protect my wireless internet so that nobody else can feed of my internet

Thanks

Advertisements

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
See if any of this info will help you.

GeneralWireless Security

I don't know which router you have, so this is basic instructions.

Barb

P.S. Here is an excellent site on networking at about.com. It has everything.

about.com

Edited by bar5, 11 January 2009 - 02:03 PM.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
no it really didnt help can someone explain to me exactly what to do my router is a Telefonica Model: ZyXEL

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

no it really didnt help can someone explain to me exactly what to do my router is a Telefonica Model: ZyXEL

Try this manual for this Zyxel router:

Zyxel Manual

Go to #2 and #5 on menu list, read that and see if any of this helps.

From information I have found, Telefonica is your ISP and the router that you have is Zyxel supplied by ISP, is this correct? If so, and you still have problems you probably should contact Telefonica and see if they can help you.

I still do not know what model Zyxel you have, but maybe this manual can help anyway.

Edited by bar5, 16 January 2009 - 09:30 AM.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
My model for my router is a ZyXEL Prestige 650HW 31

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

My model for my router is a ZyXEL Prestige 650HW 31

I gave you a manual for Zyxel Prestige 660HW. Have you read it? It can not be that much difference than the Zyxel Prestige 650HW.

It is a PDF format that is an entire user manual. Menu on left, I instructed you to read #2 and #5. Go back to my previous message to you and click on Zyxel Manual highlighted in blue.

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have a Linksys Router, so I'm going to show you how to change password, maybe it is the same.

1. Type in browser 192.168.1.1

2. Window should appear asking for your user name and password. Use what you have now to get into your router.

3. Wireless, click on it.

4. SSID-Linksys (what I use to have) I changed it to something else, you can too. click SAVE.

5. Wireless Security, click on that, Security Mode, You should have a drop down arrow where you can choose:
WEP, WPA Personal, WPA2 Personal. I chose WPA2 Personal- AES.

6. Shared key, type in what you want or go to: grc.com
copy and paste a key. I use it. click SAVE.

7. Administration, click on that. This where you can change your password. After you change it click SAVE.

What ever changes you make, print out a copy of each window you change anything, in case you forget what they are.
Make sure you click save for anything you change.

These changes should make your router as secure as you can.

Edited by bar5, 17 January 2009 - 06:39 PM.

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
no of the info is working
thanks anyway

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

thanks anyway

Sorry nothing worked for you. Not much else I can tell you, except you might call your ISP and see if they can help you. They may have it set up a certain way. Can't hurt to ask.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

thanks anyway

IaBi, you really need to provide more in-depth responses than this; what didn't work? Where did it go wrong? What error message(s), if any, did you receive?

The information that bar5 has provided appears to me to be more than sufficient to setup Wireless Security.

- Dan

Advertisements

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Okay then,

1. when i put in my URL address bar 192.168.1.1, a box comes up asking for a User Name and a Password. I dont have any

2. i dont have any manual for a Zyxel Prestige 650HW 31.

3. Thats where it gone wrong

Thanks for you help Guys

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Okay then,

1. when i put in my URL address bar 192.168.1.1, a box comes up asking for a User Name and a Password. I dont have any

2. i dont have any manual for a Zyxel Prestige 650HW 31.

3. Thats where it gone wrong

Thanks for you help Guys

The manual I gave you, did you read it? It can't be that much different between 650HW and 660HW. If you read #2 menu on left, it tells you the password to use if you do not have one. It is 1234 password. User name not necessary according to manual.

When user name and password window comes up, skip user name and type in password 1234

IaBi

IaBi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
no it still doesn't work, and yeah i did read the manual

bar5

bar5

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

no it still doesn't work, and yeah i did read the manual

There is not much more I can tell you. Maybe some one else can help you.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
So you still can't log into your router using the username/password that bar5 gave you? Because I looked into it, and that is the correct information (blank username, 1234 password). If that combination isn't working for you, then it suggests that you changed the default username/password.

If you do not know the new username and password, then you will have to reset your router back to factory defaults, update its firmware, and proceed from there.

Let us know what you want to do.
- Dan