Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pick a new processor for me

• Please log in to reply

RobK0000

RobK0000

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My old processor was found to be defective and i have been given a credit from AMD for $100 on purchasing any new amd product.
That being said i need a new processor, I have an Asus M3A32-MVP motherboard. Its awesome, stable and a perfect platform! I had dual core AMD 64's.

I havent looked at processors in months and im trying to find what best right now, and im leaning towards the quad core Phemon 3.0 ghz processor.
Can anyone give me other recommendations or best processor for the buck?

btw, the motherboard has a AM2+ socket.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

My old processor was found to be defective and i have been given a credit from AMD for $100 on purchasing any new amd product.
That being said i need a new processor, I have an Asus M3A32-MVP motherboard. Its awesome, stable and a perfect platform! I had dual core AMD 64's.

I havent looked at processors in months and im trying to find what best right now, and im leaning towards the quad core Phemon 3.0 ghz processor.
Can anyone give me other recommendations or best processor for the buck?

btw, the motherboard has a AM2+ socket.

Id probably go for a new amd Phenom II x4 that just recently came out.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103472

$235 cant beat that deal if you have a $100 credit already.

RobK0000

RobK0000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well, i got the new processor. Plugged it in made all my connections, changed to the new fan and turned the pc on.

Well, it powered up, didnt beep like it was loading and my screen did not light up. Rechecked everything, still nothing. I tried the old processor and works fine.

Could this be bad bios, or bad processor?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

well, i got the new processor. Plugged it in made all my connections, changed to the new fan and turned the pc on.

Well, it powered up, didnt beep like it was loading and my screen did not light up. Rechecked everything, still nothing. I tried the old processor and works fine.

Could this be bad bios, or bad processor?

That mobo does support the new phenom II processors but you will probably have to update the bios and you might want to go to the manufacturers website or call/ email them if you need help doing that. It will run the newer PHENOM II just try updating to bios 1406 as I read from an online forum. :)

Proof

Posted Image

If you do get the newer bios and the CPU still does not work then YES it is a bad CPU.

Also I will go ahead and ask what power supply do you have in the pc? The make and model can be found on the sticker (LOOK ON side of the Power supply).

Edited by jrm20, 15 January 2009 - 06:03 PM.

RobK0000

RobK0000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So should i get the new bios install them, then swap the processor?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So should i get the new bios install them, then swap the processor?

Get the new bios, I recommend you talking to the mobo's manufacturer to walk you through the steps if you do not know how to as that is what they are getting paid for in the tech department.

Then after you get new bios, put the new phenom II cpu in and it SHOULD work..