Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unique problem with audio/video

• Please log in to reply

ibosley

ibosley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I have been having the same problem out of my HP dv8315nr notebook ever since I bought it over 2 years ago. It started when I noticed the sound would skip during songs. I eventually grew tired of asking questions and not getting answered so I just wiped it clean and reinstalled the operating system. That fixed the problem, for a few months. After that it was same thing over and over again, so I'm at my 9th or so time at this.

The problem depends on what kind of stress the computer is under. If I open a youtube video and try to play it right off then it will skip. I first have to let it download, since the act of streaming is another process and it will cause the audio to skip. After streaming I can push play and watch the video without problems. However, if I click on any tabs, or select any other things from my bar such as AIM, it will skip until everything has had time to chillax.

Its not only streaming video, it does the same thing with .wav and .mp3 files saved to my computer. Only they will skip constantly and do not have a chance to play smoothly, not sure why.

I thought that maybe my equipped memory wasn't enough at 1 GB. So I upgraded it to 2 GB with the same results as before. It seems as though the computer just won't dedicate any resources to playing audio or video. I don't know jack about computers, but its like there is a certain amount of RAM you are supposed to have to play files, and my computer has it but it gets imposed upon by other things when those other things should be using their own memory.

Please don't post that I have spyware or my registry is dirty or that I have a virus because that is the same thing everyone says. I want detailed instructions on what I can do to fix this problem, and I will be very grateful to whoever can do that. I have to get this thing working right for school.

Some stats: http://h10025.www1.h...n...8287&dlc=en

Also, I use Avast!, CCleaner, and AdAware

Thanks all

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Also, I use Avast!, CCleaner, and AdAware

You see that bold, underlined thing up there called CCleaner?... DON"T USE IT! It has messed a lot people up because they trust it. But let me tell you something about CCleaner that I've experienced... it will start detecting things in the registry and list them as not required, or put them on the list for cleanup, just because the application that the entries are associated with it isn't being used at the time. In other words, if an application that requires these registry entries isn't running, CCleaner may list them as not needed! Its probably what killed your system after you got it running again after you reinstalled the last time... of course, I don't know this for a fact, but I still don't recommend you use it. In fact, I recommend you don't use any registry cleaner as none of them work correctly!

Some Youtube videos will run your CPU at full speed. This equates to heat... especially in a laptop. Heat will cause the CPU to begin acting weird, especially when it's trying to process the video and sound. This is due to the intense flash requirements of Youtube. If you look at Task Manager, and check CPU usage when playing files on Youtube, you will probably see high CPU usage going on. Note that not all Youtube videos will do this, and I don't understand why, but a lot will.

Beyond that, have you tried to do a windows repair to fix your problem. At this point in time, and because you may have messed up the registry due to CCleaner, you may have to end up trying it. HERE is a link to the tutorial at GTG. You might also check to make sure the cooling vents are devoid of dust. Clean them out with canned compressed air... but go gently!

Edited by makai, 12 January 2009 - 05:29 AM.