Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msn winks and moods

• Please log in to reply

grumps

grumps

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Can someone please tell me how to uninstall unwanted winks and moods. Uninstalling msn messenger does not do the job.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lots of good info in this thread: http://www.geekstogo...ks_-t12113.html

i would start there and see if you find what you need.

Starjax

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

lots of good info in this thread:  http://www.geekstogo...ks_-t12113.html

i would start there and see if you find what you need. 

Starjax

View Post

when you open your winks in messenger, click once on the wink you want to remove and look at the right hand side of the box. it says REMOVE the rest is obvious. the same way aplies to moods

firerooster

firerooster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
does anyone have this problem: I installed about 100 winks and whenever i try to execute one of them msn messenger freeze......................Yes to uninstall u can reomove from the side panel but now it freezes i am unable to do it. Even reinstall msn messenger the winks are all there to freeze things up.........................any ideaPosted Image

grumps

grumps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
have a look at this. Thank you for writing to MSN Messenger Technical Support.

First of all, I apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail. We normally respond within 24 hours, but we have received an unusually large number of messages recently. We appreciate your patience as we handle every customer request as quickly as possible.

My name is Denise and I understand that MSN Messenger freezes when you try to use winks in the program. You also mentioned that you would like to know where the winks are saved on your computer so you could delete them. I know how important this service is to you. Let me assist you.

Your issue can be caused by a lot of factors. I have here a list of the most common causes and their solutions:

1. Your computer’s proxy settings may be incorrect. Proxy settings allow your computer to communicate with the Internet. I suggest that you check on your browser settings by:

a. Start Internet Explorer.

hope it helps. Also I found if i wait for maybe a couple of minutes all the winks load up.

Have fun

b. Click “Tools”. Click “Internet Options”.
c. Click “Connections” tab.
d. Click “LAN Settings”.
e. Make sure “Automatically detect settings” is not checked. If it is, click on the box to uncheck it.
f. Click “OK”.
g. Click “OK” again to end.

2. There are several running applications that are using up the system resources or bandwidth of your machine. I recommend that you:

a. Close other programs and Web applications running.
b. Close the conversation window, then sign out of MSN Messenger. Wait for several minutes then sign in again.

3. There are spyware/adware and other deceptive software that conduct certain activities on your computer without notifying you and getting your permission first. These activities may include displaying pop-up advertisements, changing Web browser settings, and collecting personal information. There are a variety of tools that can detect and remove unwanted software from your computer. Please go to: http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx, to learn more about spy ware and download the detection and removal tools.

With regard to your inquiry as to where the winks you have installed are saved, the winks are saved o the Application Data folder. Please be informed that deleting the file/files will delete any Custom Emoticons, Backgrounds, or other Custom settings related to your login ID on the said PC.

If you want to delete the Application Data folder, please follow these steps I have detailed for your reference:

For Windows XP and Windows 2000:

1. Click on "Start".
2. Click on "Run".
3. Type in the string below, with the username you use to log in to your computer, replacing the section

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

NOTE: If you do not know your username, use any of the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

%appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

4. Click "OK".
5. Delete all folders that have numbers in the name.
6. Log out of MSN Messenger.
7. Log back in.

For Win9x or Windows ME:

1. Click on "Start".
2. Click on "Run".
3. Type in the string below

C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

4. Click "OK".
5. Delete all folders that have numbers in the name.
6. Log out of MSN Messenger.
7. Log back in.

Edited by grumps, 12 May 2005 - 07:05 AM.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes the msn will freeze if you do not do it carefully. Grumps is probably right. If you have further problems then i suggest that you maybe just leave it to avoid freezing msn.

grumps

grumps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes the msn will freeze if you do not do it carefully.  Grumps is probably right. If you have further problems then i suggest that you maybe just leave it to avoid freezing msn.

View Post

I have found that if I just let it sit for a few minutes after i have clicked on more, : then all extra winks load up. Obviously it is just taking time to load. Then it works fine. :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yup, as all the winks have to load. After that its only a while. Yes completely right

grumps

grumps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
;) Nice to be half right at least some times thanks mate. :tazz:

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
No problem

Advertisements

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

:tazz:  Can someone please tell me how to uninstall unwanted winks and moods. Uninstalling msn messenger does not do the job.

View Post

Without having to delete the entire directory...go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\some numbers\ and delete the winks 3 folder this way you will be able to remove the extra winks and keep your display pics and emoticons etc... Although... if you want to keep your winks, they WILL open up in MSN Messenger if your patient enough to wait for up to 5 mins depending on how many winks you have installed.

Edited by willow28, 16 August 2005 - 10:32 PM.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Without having to delete the entire directory...go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\some numbers\ and delete the winks 3 folder this way you will be able to remove the extra winks and keep your display pics and emoticons etc...  Although... if you want to keep your winks, they WILL open up in MSN Messenger if your patient enough to wait for up to 5 mins depending on how many winks you have installed.  have fun!

Yup correct there

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Yup correct there

View Post

it all just depends on how greedy you are :tazz: ;) the more you have the longer you will waiut ;)

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yeah so they should delete ones they do not need.

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Yeah so they should delete ones they do not need.

View Post

really :tazz: