Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange.

• Please log in to reply

EricD

EricD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me out with a problem I have.

I don't know if I have a virus/trojan but something very stranged has happened that I can't find any answers for. I have scanned my PC with AVG, Avira AV, Adware and also Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and they all tell me that my system is clean. I tried installing SpyBot SD but for some reason it locked up my PC and I could only uninstall it in Safe Mode.

The problem I have is this:

I have been a member of a forum for quite some time and to my knowledge never had any problems before. I use FireFox and have opted for it to remember my username but not my password. Up untill a few days ago the only name on the drop down menu of the login page was my name but now all of a sudden there is the name of another member of the same forum. I have never met this user and he certainly has never visited me or used my PC. I also had very little to do with him on the forum and have never recieved an email or PM from him prior to him appearing on my drop down list either. As far as I know he is just another member and not part of Admin/owner.

The only explanation I can think of is that he hacked in to my PC and logged on to the forum using his own name. But leaving a trace of his "visit" seems really silly and ametuerish. That is unless the hacker was someone else and left the "trace" on purpose to blame it on an innocent member.

My question is, is it possible to sent a virus through the forum by members to other members?

The forum is phpbb2.

Thanks in advance.

My system.

p4 2.2ghz
WinXP Home ed.
Avira AV
PCTools Firewall
PCTools ThreadFire
FireFox 3
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SpywareBlaster

Advertisements