Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchase OS Online?

• Please log in to reply

setzergarbani

setzergarbani

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A friend of mine told me today that there was a website where you could purchase a licence of WinXP (among other OS) and download them from the website. I have tried searching for said website, but haven't found anything that did not sound sketchy. Its 6am and I won't be in contact with said friend for quite a while so I am asking here to see if anyone has any idea of what I'm talking about.

I am thinking of reformating my PC and starting fresh, but I do not have my Win XP cd (let alone my winXP key). So the option of buying online and downloading without having to pay for shipping (or full price) seemed intriguing. From what was described, the key was part of the installation so every time you wished for a new key, you would need to re-download the whole OS again. We were on the conversation of building systems to sell, so he mentioned it as a way of getting copies of winXP easily to install on new systems.

If anyone has any information regarding the matter (or of a legit site where I could purchase winXP and a corresponding key [pro preferably]) please reply!

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
In the digital world, nothing surprises me these days. However, the thought of downloading an inexpensive copy of an OS sounds fishy to me too. The part you mentioned about re-downloaded the software to get a new key is evern fishier. If you download the OS again and get a new CD key, it's like buying another copy of the OS. This "so called" distributor can't make money if it lets buyers download multiple CD Keys for one low price. If I were you, I'd just run up the street, purchase a legal copy from your fovorite shopping center, and put the CD and Key in a location where you won't loose it.

If you do purchase an OS from this web site you mention, please let us know the address and how the transaction goes for you.

If you aren't having any trouble with your PC, I wouldn't recommend formatting the drive though. :tazz:

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi,

If you download everest from the following link, you can access your cd key.

Providing it is a legal key, you will not have any problems, using it to reformatt your PC if thats what you want to do.

Once you have everest, run it, click on Operating system, then again and in the window on right it gives you all the info on your operating system including cd key.

Link to Everest