Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stops loading

• Please log in to reply

Zanki

Zanki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
So my new problem, I boot up my pc, it begins to load and stops at the black windows loading screen. I tried to do a system restore while in safe mode but it didn't work, when I logged back into safe mode it said system restore has failed. I got my windows disk out and tried to fix it but I have no idea what to do. It asks me which hard drive to look in (i only have one), asks me for the admin password then it comes up with <c:/windows> and wants something after that but I have no idea what. From what I know it wants some kind of prompt but I have no idea.

When I was using my PC last night for the first time in weeks (had hardware issues after three days of using it), it was seriously lagging. Before any of the problems it didn't lag at all. I could only ever get the CPU usage up to 4% max but yesterday it was going insane.
I couldn't load left 4 dead, my friend also couldn't figure out why it wasn't loading since it came up in the processes but nothing happened on screen. I played this game loads of times when I first got my pc working but it refused to work.
I do not think there is a virus on there but I can't be 100% sure it isn't caused by one. I scan everyday with AVG but the last day I used it I didn't have chance because the CPU fan died, but I only just logged into windows before I shut down.

I don't mind if I have to re format my hard drive but there is one file I really want to keep since I have been working on it for ages.

Edited by Zanki, 12 January 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Do you have the Windows CD? If so then there's a good chance you can run a Repair Install of Windows.

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Do you have the Windows CD? If so then there's a good chance you can run a Repair Install of Windows.

It's asking me for a disc called NVIDIA Network Bus Installation Disk #1, what does this mean. The only disks I have are the motherboard and the graphics card. Does it mean one of these? I have an NVIDIA motherboard.

Edited by Zanki, 12 January 2009 - 09:16 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I would guess that the disk it's asking for is the NVIDIA mobo disk, but that's not the one I was looking for. What brand/model of computer do you have?

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I would guess that the disk it's asking for is the NVIDIA mobo disk, but that's not the one I was looking for. What brand/model of computer do you have?

I sorted out that, it was the motherboard disk it wanted. but I now have another problem:

I got the blue screen of death, page fault on nonpaged area, i wasn't quick enough to get the error code.

It happens of the black windows loading screen... same place as before but last time I didn't get a blue screen of death.

0x00000050 0xBAB30000 0x00000000 0x8542E519 0x00000000

Edited by Zanki, 12 January 2009 - 09:43 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I need to know what you have for a make/model of computer before I can really be of any more assistance.