Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install CPU Fan

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi,

I was wondering how to mount a fan on top of the cpu. I don't really understand how they mount on there. It is an older system, I have many cpu fans to choose from. The Motherboard is an ASUS P5A B. The processor is an AMD Athlon K-6? It's a AMD something! Pretty sure thats right though.

Is there a general guide someone can send me?

Thanks,

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a very old Socket 7/Super7 board.
On Socket 7 boards the processor heatsinks and fan is held on by the lugs either side of the white socket. The clip goes over the one side and clips down on the other and the lugs stop them from springing up. It's no different to installing any other AMD processor.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thank you...I got it on there.

One question, I'm putting this together for my parents to have a second computer. This board will support a high speed connection right? I'm really hoping you say yes. LOL

What about some sort of wireless pci card?

Depending on what you say...I will go to the appropriate place to post. Thanks,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The board has nothing to do with it. I had a broadband connection on a computer that was older than yours at one point.
If you're running Windows 95 on it, Windows 95 won't have anything to do with Wireless at all. 98, possibly.

TM_Skylark

TM_Skylark

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
As a side note:

Make sure that the fan on your CPU cooler is directing air toward the nearest exhaust fan in your computer - usually in the back

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Make sure that the fan on your CPU cooler is directing air toward the nearest exhaust fan in your computer - usually in the back

What about the designs that face down onto the processor? You can't change them... :)

TM_Skylark

TM_Skylark

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
:) forgot about those