Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow start up and operating programs

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I have a dell 1150, 2.43Ghz, 512 ram. Only has 32 prossess running and nothing in startup. Also not alot of programs on it only like office, internet security, a photo program and mabe 3 others. Nothing to memory intensive. I have ran malwarebytes and nothing, ATF cleaner, updated everthing and ran anti virus thru norton also defraged and it still runs slow. I know not alot of ram but I seen other systems run faster than this one. Like I said it is base for things. CPU usage on idle at 30 to 80 % alot of times. PF usage hovers around 215. Physical mem Toral-522580, Avalable-about 300000, System cache- about 260000. In MSCONFIG the only things that are running are 2 things for Synaptics pointing devices (mouse), 2 things for Norton Internet and System32/ctfmon.exe. What to do???? Any help whould be great can't seem to figure it out.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

I'd try to REMOVE Norton, and put in something else, (Free AVG or AVAST), but sometimes hard drives start slowing down before a failure. Run an error check and see what it says and be sure you've defragmented recently...

Hope this helps..

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I don't really want to remove Norton because its bought and payed for. Ran check disk and it is fine. Anything else...???

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

CPU usage on idle at 30 to 80 % alot of times

If you look at CPU column in Task Manager, what process(es) is taking the biggest chunk?
Also, see how computer operates in Safe Mode.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
It runs fine in safe mode, and as far as taskmanager ccSvcHst.exe then explorer.exe then svhost.exe with has 6 of them running. but it seems to change speeds after letting it run for 4 min. the big ones are explorer and one svchost.

Edited by cradl, 12 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
ccSvcHst.exe belongs to Norton, and as Mark D suspected, it may be your problem.
...and I agree, as well.
It's a horrible program.
You have another proof. Your computer is running fine in Safe Mode, where Norton is not present.
I'd suggest, you uninstall it, using Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039
Since you paid for it, there is no problem to reinstall it.
If you decide to go this way, after uninstalling Norton, make sure, you turn Windows firewall on.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
So there is really nothing I can do but uninstall it. Other than to upgrage ram. It just sucks that I paid for it and then am unable to use it. I uninstalled it then reinstalled it to see if that worked but to no avail. Is there a good free reg cleaner out there to clean up reg. Also I do have Norton system works I could run insted of Internet security and then put AVG on would that make a differance??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Don't play with registry cleaners. They won't improve your computer performance, and they may mess up your computer even more.
Did you uninstall Norton, using Norton Removal Tool? If you used just Add\Remove, it won't work. That's how Norton is. It simply sucks (your computer resources out).
I don't recommend AVG, either. Their ver. 8.0 has been having problems.
I recommend these:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://filehippo.com...vast_antivirus/
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c...load/index.html

- free PC Tools Firewall Plus: http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
If you decide to install Comodo, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

Getting another 512MB of will surely help.