Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk/network Connection error when saving in word

• Please log in to reply

dutrilaw

dutrilaw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi --I am at my wits end. Yesterday I was working in Word all day and it was fine. Then I craeted another new document and it would save fine after I created it, save a few times as I saved it when I was typing, and then I would get these error messages (below) and the document would close. Even though the system said it was saving it, all that was saved was a corrupted document. My one brother said to run the disc fragmentation program, which I let run last night while I slept. I woke up this morning and my screen was dark. I had to unplug the computer, plug it back in and then restart it.Upon restart , it said it was running for inconsistent discs, said it found a file thet it was removing and then said everything was corrected. So I go into word, and the same thing happens that happened yesterday.

Here are the messages I got:
There is an unrecoverable disk error on file ~WRL3087.the disk you're working on has a media problem that prevents word from using it.
Try the following:
*Try formatting another disk
*Save the document to another disk
So I hit OK. (note that I was saving it to the system and not an external disc)

then i get: Word faild reading from this file (~WRL3087).Please restore the network connection or replace the floppy disc and retry.

then I get: Word has lost data due to a bad network connectio or missing floppy. Documents relying on this are going to be saved and then closed.

I had seen a whole discussion on a font issue and normal.dot, but when I did a seach for normal.dot, teh only place it showed up was on my external memory drive.

I hope you can help.

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi dutrilaw

What version of Word are you using and to what location (drive) are you saving the Word documents?

dutrilaw

dutrilaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Windows Office XP--It is old. From 2001
the word docs are saved on the C Drive.
It allows me to initially save new docs.

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Well, with Word closed, it might be worth renaming normal.dot to normal.bak

You should find it in C:\Documents and Settings\[userprofile]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Re-start Word to see if the problem is still there.