Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remove information from old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

rezza9

rezza9

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All!

My problem is this, recently my Dell Dimension 4300 crashed (I believe it to be the video card) and truly the machine is not worth saving. I'm looking to pull documents off the hard drive, but I am unsure what exactly I need to buy in order to get the information. I do not want to make the hard drive into a slave, as it's given us quite a bit of trouble in the past. I do know there is a USB enclosure that can transfer information, but for the life of me can not figure out what it's called nor do I know which type I need (as I do know there are two kinds of hard drives). The machine has been dead for a few months now, so I'm looking to do this asap for fear of the data being lost with the non-use of the hard drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The specs on your computer says it uses IDE (also known as PATA) harddrives. Just go to any computer store, or online vendor and purchase a USB Enclosure for 3.5" IDE (PATA) drives and you should be good to go.

The other type of hard drive interface is called SATA... you cannot use a SATA enclosure as the interface is different from IDE.