Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

really strange hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

tmckay2

tmckay2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi all, im running windows xp. had my comp a good five years, works fine. one day i turned it on and my sound didn't work. i thought it was kinda strange, but just restarted my computer. then my mouse didn't work. i ran a few virus programs, found just a few trojans, deleted, restarted. then, my freaking keyboard wouldn't work! i ran my dell in the maintenance startup mode, reset defaults and my keyboard works. but sound and mouse still don't. i have three mice, two usb and one ps/2. i plugged all of them in, none work. i plugged all of them into my laptop, they all work. i went into mouse properties and hit the hardware tab, and there is nothing listed, so i can't check properties or troubleshoot. i wanna figure out the mouse problem first then mess with the sound. any ideas?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Probably, you're still infected, but since you can't use mouse....
Do you have Windows CD?

tmckay2

tmckay2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i don't think so. ive had the computer for a while and had it at home, then at undergrad in illinois then at grad school in colorado. so with all the moving i don't think i have it. i can run adaware and AVG, but as i am sure you know, those are only so good. what do you think about downloading a good program (do you know one?) on my laptop, put it on a cd and try to install it using the keyboard? you think its most likely a virus as opposed to a hardware problem?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not sure what type of program you're talking about, but let's run a little test...

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
You will be at a command prompt window.

This way, you'll see, if you can use keyboard while booted from CD, outside Windows.

tmckay2

tmckay2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, ill give it a try. what does it show if i can or can't use the mouse outside windows?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you can use mouse with the CD, that means, you have some Windows files messed up.