Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help me with win XT home!

• Please log in to reply

therapist 2004

therapist 2004

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[FONT=Arial]
PLEASE help. I have a Dell PC with win XP which is running sooooooooooooo slowly I cannot even wait for it to booot. Have done everything from removing spyware to defraging 24/7. Cannot find a program to list whisch progs are running and slowing the performance and I have released more RAM-and then some.
Does ANYONE know of a link/prog which will allow a user to check progs and increase speed???

Advertisements

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Dell Computer and i had a problem with a slow computer and i just formated the hard drive and kept all the crap like unused programs and old documents, the more space you have on your hard drive the better. I would surgest you uprate your RAM to 512 MB or try and return your computer to dell because buying a DELL was the biggest mistake i ever made!

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
You may have a lot of programs running in the background on your PC. These programs eat up your system memory. First, have a look at the performance of your memory by doing this:

I like to perfrom this process right after a hard boot so I can determine what state my system is in when I first turn it on...not after I've been using it all day. Press "Alt" + "Ctrl" + "Delete" keys on your keyboard at the same time. Click the performance tab in the task manager. Have a look at your memory and see what its activity is like. Are you low on Memory? If you are low on memory and have performed these steps after a hard boot, you have a lot of these little programs running in the background. What are they and how do you take care of them?

Try this:

Click "Start", "Run", type "MSCONFIG" (Thats the Microsoft Configurator), and press "Enter". When the MSCONFIG program opens, click on the startup tab. The programs in this list are the programs that run when your computer boots. The names of these programs may seem like they're written in a foreign language, but a look at the programs path may help you determine what program it is. Uncheck all of the programs you know you can safely remove. If you are unsure about a program, either google it or leave it checked. When you have removed everything you need to, click "OK" and then reboot the machine. When you get back to your desktop, a message will appear letting you know that you have altered the startup options for your PC. Check the "Don't show me this again" message and then click "OK". Now press "Alt" + "Ctrl" + "Delete" keys on your keyboard at the same time again to bring up the task manager. Have a look at your memory and free system resources now. Any different?

Hope this helps. :tazz: