Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitors not recognized

• Please log in to reply

Traci4VividImages

Traci4VividImages

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My friend clicked on a pop-up and since then her monitor is not recognized when she boots. She doesn't remember exactly what the pop up said, just that it had something to do with video drivers and a trojan or virus. The monitor has power, and I've hooked up other working monitors to it to no avail. Could this be a missing driver that was removed when she clicked the roque popup? The computer seems to be running fine, except there is no screen which has prevented me from doing a system restore, or anythng else for that matter.

I assume I have to somehow reinstall her drivers, but her cd/dvd drive is broken as well. She has a working external cd/dvd drive and a thumb drive but I don't know how to force the computer to do anything from them without a monitor.

I advised her to buy a new internal dvd drive but she does not have a boot disk for her computer, just a reinstallation cd for windows xp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dell XPS 210
Windows XP SP 3
IE 7

Thanks,
Traci

Edited by Traci4VividImages, 12 January 2009 - 03:46 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
First, she needs to replace CD drive. Without it, I can't see any way to run any tests, like booting from Windows CD.

Traci4VividImages

Traci4VividImages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for your advice. I failed to mention that she was getting a series of 3 beeps on boot as well. I was doing some research on the subject and now I wonder if her video card could have been effected by recent transportation of the computer. I plan to remove the card then reinstall it and see what happens. Will post results later today.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What type of beeps were they (short, long)?

Traci4VividImages

Traci4VividImages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
One long two short. I'm thinking either video card or ram, what do you think? The computer has been moved around quite a bit lately. It was a freeby from a client of hers. I've read that removing the v card and reinstalling it can fix it, or removing the ram and reinstalling them one at a time can fix too. Thanks again!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Those beeps sound like video card.
You can safely open the computer (while off), and reseat video card. You may do same thing for RAM, since you're there.
Make sure, you touch some bare metal (like power supply), before touching anything else, so you don't cause any damage by static electricity.
Get also a can of compressed air, and clean the thing inside (do NOT use vacuum cleaner!).

Traci4VividImages

Traci4VividImages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Video chip is integrated, (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator). Any suggestions?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It looks like video chip may be busted. She may need real video card (and a new CD/DVD drive).

Traci4VividImages

Traci4VividImages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK so I removed the RAM strips and swapped them and every thing seems to be working fine now. Two monitors, two mice, two power cords, two keyboards all tested and running fine. Thank you very much! Now I can't get it to recognize an external dvd drive, but I'll start a new thread on that.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice to hear good news :)