Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA PCI CARD

• Please log in to reply

dgaggi

dgaggi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First time posting here, but I'm getting my rear kicked by this. :) I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with XP Home loaded. I recently installed a Masscool SATA PCI card and a Seagate 500gb drive. I get the drive to show up in XP but it remains UNKOWN in the BIOS and I can't boot from it. When my computer boots I get "Primary drive 1 not found press F1 to continue or F2 for setup". I would like to be able to clone my 40gb and just use the 500gb. Is possible? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
According to Mascool, they don't make SATA cards anymore... at least I can't find any product info on any on their website. Perhaps they got too many complaints and dropped the line.

Will you please state the full model number of the card or a link to where you bought it if possible, and I'll try to help you resolve this. No promises though, as add-on sata cards almost always give problems! Unfortunately, your position is you own one now, so we'll try our best! :)

By the way, the Dell 8300 specs say your computer supports SATA drives... unless this page is wrong. If it does support SATA (serial ata), then you don't need the Mascool card. Can you post the asset or service tag model information so I can check your exact computer model. The tag should be somewhere on the case of the computer, or in the documentation somewhere. However, if your computer is old, it's possible Dell will have no info on your computer.

dgaggi

dgaggi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Wow thanks! :) I'm quite the "rocket scientist"lol :). I looked on my mother board and sure enough there are two sata connections. I assumed since the computer was older that it wouldn't support SATA. I plugged the drive in and what do you know, it showed up in the bios. I did still get the primary drive 1 not found press F1 to continue or F2. I pressed F1 and the computer just sat there. Am I missing something? Here's my sevice tag number 4H2J641. Thank you for your help.

dgaggi

dgaggi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
By the way, I took the SATA card out.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You will probably need to go into bios and enable the sata channel(s). I don't know where that is, but I do remember that Dell bios has their menus pretty well laid out. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll do some research.

dgaggi

dgaggi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Got it! Works like a champ. :) Thank you very much for your help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Got it! Works like a champ. :) Thank you very much for your help.

No problem. I'm glad you got it worked out! :)