Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can You Install A PSU That Has Too Much Power?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I have a 300 Watt PSU in a Pentium 4, 1.8GHz machine and am thinking about replacing it with another PSU that's 500 Watts, possibly a 750 Watt. I'm just curious if that's excessive, or will the extra wattage be good for my computer and all hardware components?

Advertisements

rastadog

rastadog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Having a PS larger than you need won't hurt your components. It might use a little more power than a smaller one would. All other things being equal, it's probably better to buy a little more capacity than you need, to give you headroom in the future to upgrade to card(s) that need more power.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Having a PS larger than you need won't hurt your components. It might use a little more power than a smaller one would. All other things being equal, it's probably better to buy a little more capacity than you need, to give you headroom in the future to upgrade to card(s) that need more power.

Thank you!