Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen, Cursor on XP Boot

• Please log in to reply

btk

btk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've got a problem with my Windows XP / Linux dual boot system.

I had WinXP on it, and recently partitioned it and added Linux to experiment with. After adding Linux, I could still boot into windows with no problems (using Grub from mbr).

A few days later, when I tried to boot to Windows I got a blue screen and an error message I can't remember. I followed some advice I got on the net using the recovery console (can't recall exactly what), which stopped windows booting completely and made the drive unreadable from Linux. I now pick my advice more carefully.

I then ran testdisk from Linux, and discovered the partition was set to FAT12. I set it back to x07 - NTFS, and I can now read the files from within Linux.

If I try to boot to windows from Grub, it lists the grub commands on the screen and then freezes with a blinking cursor.

As I can re-install Grub from CD, I used the WinXP CD recovery console and ran fixmrb and fixboot c: to try to restore the original windows mbr and the partition boot sector. If I try to boot straight into windows, I get the POST screen and then a black screen with a flashing cursor and nothing happens. I'm assuming there's either something wrong with the code in the boot sector, or some other file it needs that can't be found.

I've tried running a repair install a couple of times (runs, reboots back to black screen with cursor), and I've tried running chkdsk /r a few times.

Looking at the windows partition from Linux, everything seems to be fine.

Any suggestions as to how I can restore Windows? If possible, I'd like to avoid doing a HD format, complete install, and then having to download/update/reinstall all my old windows programs again.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I'd be interested to know how the XP partition ended up as FAT12. Quite how that happened is probably key to how it's ended up in the state it now lives in.

That being said, have you downloaded an appropriate hard drive testing tool for your drive? This may be an issue with the drive itself as it's not uncommon for files and boot sectors and what not to suddenly change properties on their own if the drive's on the way out.

btk

btk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hard drive tests ok using a drive testing boot CD I had.

The type only changed when I followed the dodgy procedure I got off the net (can't remember exactly what I did). As soon as I changed it back to NTFS it read fine from Linux, and I can re-install Grub in the MBR and it boots into Linux OK, so between this and the test result I assume the hardware is OK.

When the WinXP CD repair install is done, it says it has to re-boot to complete the installation. It says to remove floppies, but doesn't mention the CD. If I take the CD out, it wont reboot, if I leave it in it goes back to the beginning and gives me the option of install/recovery console etc.