Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Selecting portion of an image using Paint

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I am still (trying to) use MS Paint for viewing screen captures. Once I click the Print screen button I go to Accessories\Paint and do a Ctrl-V. That does bring up a picture of the screen I was viewing.

But how do I then edit that picture with Paint to, say, retain just a portion of the whole picture and eliminate all the rest?

Thank you for the hand-holding.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...MS paint is garbage (sorry microsoft...it is)....i suggest you get Paint.net it's 100% better than normal paint...you can do a lot more with it than you can normal paint..

with paint.net you would simply use the select tool to grab the area you want....then crop the image to that area

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
dsenette: Thanks for your so-prompt reply. I should have mentioned I am working with a W98 pc, so Paint.net won't work. Actually I use Paint very rarely (and so forget how it works). Really just for capturing and editing a screenshot.

I have two current problems with Paint:

1.How to select and save a particular area of the picture. Will this work?
Use Select to place a rectangle around the area I want
Then do Ctrl-C; open a new Paint file, Ctrl-V to drop the selected area there, and then SaveAs as a xxx.jpg file..

2. Sometimes the saved picture has two many pixels to send as an attachment. How can I reduce the resolution?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Once you have your image in Paint, click on the "Select" tool, top right of tool menus on left. Then click, hold and drag to size of area on image that you want to keep. Right-click, then choose crop. Press Ctrl + Z if you made a mistake or don't like what you see. Try again. Sorry you can't use the free GetPaint.net as suggested.

Edited by Major Payne, 13 January 2009 - 10:17 AM.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
How about a Screen Capture utility that will let you select the area you want to capture?
The way you're doing it only allows Full Screen (Print screen key) or Active window (Alt+Print Screen).
GO HERE for a Freeware utility.
You want the Gadwin Print Screen 4.3 freeware. It doesn't have mark-up capability, but it's very simple to use and will run on Windows 95 and above.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Well, if you gonna mention Screen Captures, Faststone Capture version 5.3 (last freebie) is much better as it allows so many options like auto-scrolling captures. Runs on Win 98 and should work on 95. If running in the SysTray, a simple, quick Ctrl + Prt Scr brings up the selection tool. Comes with its own image editor for adding notes, cropping, etc..

Next opinion on SCs anyone? :)