Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

teresapeterson

teresapeterson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When trying to open up a word document, i get the following error message: "Microsoft Word has not abeen installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application." The program has been uninstalled and reinstalled. It will work however under everyone else except myself, the administrator, which is weird. Apparently it is a permissions thing. During setup it never gave me the option "for all users". What do I need to do fix this problem. Thanks so much!! Teresa

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The program has been uninstalled and reinstalled

was this done under the administrator account or the account that you're using right now?

During setup it never gave me the option "for all users".

by default office installs for all users...

teresapeterson

teresapeterson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Setup was done under administrator. It never gave an option for all users. I can however log out and log in under two other users and open word docs without any problem..this is a pain in the butt! I have a business to run and appraisals to print out and am unable to do so under my username which is the administrator. Does this help?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

under my username which is the administrator

....again to be 100% sure...you're logging in under the username of administrator? or is it a user account with administrative privelages?

teresapeterson

teresapeterson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I am logging in as the administrator.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
was hoping you wouldn't say that....

i've seen what you're talking about happen because of a corrupted user account....which makes it funky when the account is the adminstrator

basically what you would want to try to do is create another administrator account locally on the machine then restart the computer and log in under that account...then you would want to copy off any important data from the old administrator's account (especially the my documents folder etc...) that would be located in C:\documents and settings\administrator ....once that's done you would want to right click on "My computer" and choose properties, then move to the advanced tab then click the settings button in the user profile area, from there you would highlight the administrator account in the window and press the delete button. this will completely remove the profile (but not the user) from the computer...then try logging on as that user again and see if office works

understand that this process does open up the risk for data loss....so any critical data that you KNOW resides within the administrators profile (anything in the C:\documents and settings\administrator folder) should be backed up before you do this....

teresapeterson

teresapeterson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Crap...I was afraid, so afraid of this... nothing is ever easy anymore. Ok, I will see what happens. Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it were easy it wouldn't be fun right?