Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Email/Contact/Favorites Recovery

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
This is my challenge.

I have finallylost my Old Dell 8400, After numerous starts when the Fan sounded like a Jet engine, on start up..i kept it on for about a month, and got the blue screen of death..and it would not start again..Tech said it burned the Mother board...so i got another box, a Dell Vostro 220 (price was best i could do). I was able to save my two 300 GIG hard drives from the 8400, one partitioned with the Win XP and programs in a partition and Data in another partition. Moved this drive to the new box. No room for the second drive which i used as a back up anyway. the New Box has Win XP Pro on it, as i didn't want Vista at all. So My new Configuration is Drive C 250 GIG, with new Win XP Pro running. Second Drive is my Seagate 300 Gig Drive, Partitioned with Drive D (Was old 8400 Drive C with prior Win XP Pro, and Programs etc), and DRive E with all data.

I can access all my data on drive E, so will again Back it up totally.

Problem:
Outlook is my Email, I now can get new email and send email. However i do not have my old Email files. They are on the New "D"Drive (Old "C" Drive)..Is there any way i can find the File and just move it from the D drive to the C drive and have access to the email i have saved. I do have it backed up in another place, but have about two weeks of emails i would not get if i just did a restore from the back up. Thought i might be able to find the old file and move it to the new one on the C drive.

Contacts/ Same problem here...all my contacts in outlook are on the new D drive can i find them and move them to the file for outlook on my new C drive

Favorites for Explorer...Same issue here, can i just move the favorites file..

If this is possible, can anyone tell me where to look? It would save me a lot, if i can just move the files from my D to my C drive... as they were there and fine when i got the system.

I then plan to format the D drive and use it as another open partition, or just delete the partition and have a complete 300 GIG drive for data....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Denny

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the outlook info....do a file search on the drive from the old computer for *.pst ...that should find the outlook (assuming it's outlook and not outlook express) data...from there you can open outlook and and do file "import/export" to import the PST into your outlook....the default PST should have all your contacts etc in it as well as the old mail

for the internet favorites...open up my computer and open up the old drive, then open documents and settings, then find your old user account, then copy the favorites file over to the same location in your user account on the C drive (c:\documents and settings\username\)

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Dsenette.......

You got it....wow I knew they were out there some where....i found them the first search i got some pst files that were not my email, So i had to include hidden files and found them. I also found archive files but imported the larger file as it included all of the current files. All of them including the contacts were imported fine....I also found the Favorites for my explorer.

thanks loads, you helped greatly, now i don't have to start over, just need to clean up what i have.....

I am made whole again, but with a lot of work to re install all of my programs.

Thanks again...I greatly appreciate it.

Denny

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Additional Problem which i can't figure out....

I imported the Email files from My D Drive(Which was my "C" drive in myold computer) to Mynew version ofoutlook. However, I was logged in as Administrator. I had intended to set up another account, other than admin and work from that. I have heard that it is more secure and more protected from virus and spy software .

I thus started over and did an export of my current Email and Contacts from Outlook to my E Drive and set up outlook in a guest log in. When i tried to import that file to outlook in the guest log in, i got a file protect error and it said i couldn't a file from the source the same name as the destination file.
I was able to move my favorites over to the guest log in, but havn't been able to with email and contacts...not sure what the problem is...

I couldn't find the origional file in the D drive either, so i must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

Denny

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

in a guest log in.

i'm going to make an assumption that this has SOMETHING to do with the trouble...guest accounts have very limited rights....

you should create another user with power user rights and try again

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
You are probably right. I thought i would be able to do the same thing as i did with the admin log in...but not only would it not reload the exported file, but i could not find the origional file i put in the admin outlook...i did a *.pst look up...it seems to be gone.

I will try to upgrade the guest log in more..thanks..i do appreciate your thoughts....
Denny

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the guest login probably doesn't have permissions to access that file which is why it's not finding it