Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo mail (free) and Thunderbird/Outlook?

• Please log in to reply

Kealan

Kealan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, my main e-mail account is Yahoo, has been for years, but I recently found out about Thunderbird and Outlook. I am pretty sure my laptop has Outlook on it, but I am away from home right now, so I can't be sure. Problem is, only the expensive yahoo mail client works with it. Is there any legal way to make them work together? Maybe an option to forward a COPY of all my mail to a different e-mail address, so that I can then use it? I still want all the mail to be in my Yahoo account too, for when I am travelling. A friend of mine told me about YPOPS, which I tried, but it would delete all my Yahoo mail from my normal account. Maybe a way to have it just make a copy of the mail? I am pretty sure that it is ok to ask about this, since YPOPS falls well within the realm of legality, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what about folders I have in Yahoo mail? A large portion of my e-mails are from a certian friend of mine, and I set up my Yahoo account to automatically filter them to a specific folder. Is there any way to have Thunderbird/Outlook do the same, so they don't just get jumbled in with the rest of the mail?

Sorry if the questions are rather basic, I just learned about these programs recently and don't really know how to use them that well yet.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yahoo POP3 only works with Premium accounts regardless of which email client. Older free Yahoo accounts from years ago still in use benefit from free POP3 access, which I know about as I've got one and I had it when this entire area was all fields.

That being said it'll only download what's in the Inbox which is usual POP3 behaviour. If you want things sorted into folders a better solution may be to download it all and sort it into folders on your end via Message Rules.