Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Freezes

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I built a guy a new PC with the following specs:

Antec 900 Case
Corsair 750W PSU
AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition
Gigabyte ATX Motherboard
Western Digital Velociraptor (150GB for Windows and Programs)
Western Digital 1 TB drive for data storage
LG Blu-Ray Drive
LG standard DVD ROM Drive
Thermaltake SpinQ fan for CPU
Kingston HyperX RAM (4 GB)
Windows Vista Ultimate
and the ATI 4870 x2 Video Card (the crown jewel)

I assembled the PC, installed Vista, downloaded and installed latest drivers for all hardware, and had no problems. The only issue I had was that the SPD on the RAM was set to 800MHz instead of the advertised 1066MHz. I tried to overclock the RAM to its ADVERTISED speed, but the MB wouldn't let me push enough power through for it to be stable. In the end I had to set the clock speeds to AUTO. Now, the RAM runs at 800MHz and NOTHING is overclocked.

It scored a 5.9 Vista Score and did Amazingly well on the benchmarks I ran. Then, I installed FOLDING@HOME, maxed out it's settings and let it run for about two and a half days without a break. She was rock solid and I wore a big smile on my face. It was the most powerful computer I had ever built.

I shipped it Thursday in the same box the case came in with the same packaging material and he received it yesterday. I called yesterday afternoon to check in. He said he had received the computer earlier in the day but had not turned it on because he thought somthing was wrong.

Visually broken, he could tell that the acrylic on the side of the case was cracked and that something was slanted. After some research, I discover that "something" turned out to be the $500 video card! There is a plastic clip and two screws to hold the card in place, but it didn't hold. The video card popped out of the PCI-E slot. The plastic clip is cracked and the metal on the video card where you put the screws in is bent. I explained to him how to install the video card and prayed that he could bend the metal back while putting the screws back in place. He had no trouble there, but couldn't get the plastic clip back in place. He claimed that the card wouldn't move at all so he decided to fire up the machine to see what happens.

He only had three of his four drives in "Computer". We found out later that the SATA power cable had come loose from the DVD-ROM drive. He reattached that and got the drive back. So, in the end, we wound up with a working PC with a small crack in the acrylic on the case.

It was late, but this was his first experience with Windows Vista so I walked him through some stuff over the phone (Dreamscene, Window Flip 3-d, etc.) When our small demonstration was complete, he had several windows open and we got off the phone. We were both tired and going to bed. He called back about five minutes later with a problem.

He said that he minimized all of the windows so he could get back to the desktop. He said he sat in front the PC while brushing his teeth so he could watch the DreamScene background. After brushing his teeth, he was going to close all of the open windows and shut the computer down.

In the middle of closing the windows, the PC locked up! He didn't even have movement from the mouse. Isn't that usually a hardware issue?

I've e-mailed him instructions on how to check his two Hard Drives for erros. I'm hoping he will do that today so I rule out damaged HDs.

Is there anything else anyone can tell me to check off hand.

For now, I'm hoping this was just a glitch, but due to the other damage of the computer from shipping, I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I hope this was insured. I would be talking with the shipper because if the hardware gets damage you can get ALLL sorts of errors.

I would check the ram, both physically, making sure it is seated properly, and with a program like MemTest86+.

This computer has been manhandled is sounds like and the shipper needs to pay up, either for your time or replacement parts.

Honestly, any heavy part can be damaged when treated like this. The Heatsink can damage the mobo around it, the videocard can damage the PCIe socket and so on.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 13 January 2009 - 11:18 AM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Pedro:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I paid for insurance.

I'm going to try to get an update today and will have to contact those guys if we are still having trouble this afternoon.

Thanks,

Magus

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I think the right thing to do is to contact the shippers anyway. The computer arrived damaged!

My Vista ultimate was custom built by a friend .... I paid a lot of money for it. It shipped from the east coast to the west coast. Now if I had received it in a damaged state, you can bet I'd be asking my friend if he called the shipping agent.
Mine was insured and I had all information on shipping status from point "A" to my point "B".