Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-mail Recovery

• Please log in to reply

xjranger

xjranger

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My hard drive crashed and HP sent me a new one but I have to send back the old one. I am trying to get my e-mails off of the old one before I send it back. I have installed the bad one in my computer as a second drive and can access the folders but cannot find where to get the e-mail files off of. I am using Windows Mail 6.0 on a Vista 64 machine. Please help as I need to send the drive back soon or they will charge me $700!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I think the default folder is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\. See if it shows up in both drives using Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store Folder. Since Windows Mail is the new Outlook Express, I think all the folders still have the dbx extension. You can do a search of slave HD for these files and maybe import them using the Import tool.

xjranger

xjranger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried this originally and then tried it again just as you described it but the old messages don't show up. Maybe I am doing something wrong! Any check boxes that I don't see or that may have to be done before this point?

I have an external drive and will be copying the whole drive to it to save the data just in case... If there are anymore ideas, I am open to them. Please help!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Looks like Windows Mail uses *.fol. If it made any backup, it will be under WindowsMail.MSMessageStore. The path on mine is:

c:\Users\Your User Name\App Data\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail

This should be located on the slave HD also, but drive letter will be different. You might be able to use the Import Tool from the File menu in Windows Mail and browse to the second drive.

Edited by Major Payne, 13 January 2009 - 12:49 PM.

xjranger

xjranger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried browsing but it did not pull up anything. I will try again once it is done downloading the info to the external drive. I have an older .pst from a previous outlook express account that I have never been able to migrate in there as well. I really appreciate your help and suggestions! Let me know if you have any more.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Instead of browsing are you doing searchs on the other drive using the info I gave? If it wasn't deleted, the info should still be there.