Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU upgrade help

• Please log in to reply

musgeek

musgeek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Computer Wizards,

I recently purchased a refurbished Acer Extensa 5630-4250 laptop. It uses an Intel Pentium dual-core T3200 2.0 GHz processor with a 667 MHZ FSB and a 1MB cache. It has Windows Vista Home Premium installed, although I intend to roll back to Windows XP Pro. I would like to upgrade the processor to an Intel Core2-Duo T9600 2.8 GHz processor with a 1024MHz FSB and a 6MB L2 cache.

I contacted Acer about this change, but they flatly refuse to address any upgrade except memory, which BTW is at 3 GB. Therefore, I contact you to find out if this swap should work and what sorts of things I need to check, and so forth.

The physical part of such a swap is straightforward: remove the bottom cover, the fan, the heatsink, and the processor chip itself. The two chips use the same socket; at least that part should be compatible.

I have flashed an updated BIOS in preparation for the upgrade, and that process was successful. It is interesting that Acer USA's website does not contain such a utility, but Acer Europe does provide it.

In advance, thanks very much for any advice and aid you can provide.

Advertisements

TM_Skylark

TM_Skylark

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
1. Check to see if the socket types match (check)

2. Check to see if the bios will accept the particular chip (you'll have to look into this)

If the two aforementioned requirements are fulfilled, then your new chip should work.

However - keep in mind that the CPU FSB is operating faster than the motherboard FSB. As such, the CPU will slow down to match the motherboard FSB.

2.8 GHz / (1024 MHz / 4 quad pump) = Multiplier of 11

(667 MHz / 4 quad pump) * 11 multiplier = 1.8 GHz

I highly recommend that you pick a CPU with FSB equal to or less than that of the motherboard for this reason.

musgeek

musgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Skylark,

Thanks very much for your help. If I am interpreting this information correctly, the computer actually will perform as well or better if I stay with the current chip at 2.0 GHz than if I change to the chip I have in mind. If, once the slower bus speed is taken into account, the new chip would operate at 1.8 GHz, this change would not make sense. Is my thinking correct? If so, could someone suggest a chip that would be a better choice? Thanks again.

Musgeek

TM_Skylark

TM_Skylark

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
While I'm not completely familiar with the laptop processor scene, I would recommend purchasing a CPU with the same FSB as your motherboard (or less) but with a higher operating frequency (GHz)

If you can't find one like this, you might be out of luck