Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firefox will not Run

• Please log in to reply

Fnordia

Fnordia

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
My computer is running Windows XP and recently I have not been able to open FireFox. I think this may be a new problem since installing version 3.0, but not sure.

When I try to open FireFox it crashes immediately. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, same problem. I also tried the FireFox Help instructions - opening in FireFox Safe Mode and clearing out all AddOns, etc. and no help.

I don't have Google Desktop installed.

I've tried deleting the profile and creating a new one.

Hope that you can help. Internet Explorer works fine.

Here is the Mozilla Crash Reporter log I received:

Add-ons: {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.0.3
BuildID: 2008092417
CrashTime: 1231871124
InstallTime: 1231870693
ProductName: Firefox
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 393
StartupTime: 1231871123
Theme: classic/1.0
URL:
UserID: 83b3c7e0-244a-4b09-8e6d-9c79237725ee
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 3.0.3

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

Advertisements

Battle Unit

Battle Unit

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I think it's profile issue (not sure though).

Try to backup and delete everything from Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox and try to start FF again

Fnordia

Fnordia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the response. I did already try completely deleting the profile and creating a new one, and the error still occurred.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
My Temporary Solution to Fix Mozilla Firefox 3 Random Crashing Problem
Troubleshooting Problems with Firefox 3 Crashing or Hanging
9 Fix For Firefox 3 Crashes & Hanging Problem
Firefox 3 crashes 15 times a day (Mozilla Forum)
Why Mozilla Firefox 3 crashes and how to fix it

You're not the only one having that problem. Maybe the answer to yours is in one or more of the links.

SOURCE

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Will Firefox run OK in Safe Mode? Not FF Safe Mode, but Windows Safe Mode.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Will Firefox run OK in Safe Mode? Not FF Safe Mode, but Windows Safe Mode.

OP has stated: "opening in FireFox Safe Mode " :) I am also taking Reading 101 again cuz of same reading problem.

I also tried the FireFox Help instructions - opening in FireFox Safe Mode and clearing out all AddOns, etc. and no help.

Edited by Major Payne, 15 January 2009 - 10:51 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm asking, if FF will run OK in Windows Safe Mode, not Firefox Safe Mode, or......I may need to take that reading course, too :)

Fnordia

Fnordia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

My Temporary Solution to Fix Mozilla Firefox 3 Random Crashing Problem
Troubleshooting Problems with Firefox 3 Crashing or Hanging
9 Fix For Firefox 3 Crashes & Hanging Problem
Firefox 3 crashes 15 times a day (Mozilla Forum)
Why Mozilla Firefox 3 crashes and how to fix it

You're not the only one having that problem. Maybe the answer to yours is in one or more of the links.

SOURCE

Link 1 - Has information about strange extensions/add-ons that can be manually deleted - I tried this, no effect. Still Crashing on opening.
Link 2 - I've tried the fixes listed, with no results. Even the 'last ditch' effort of a complete FF reinstall, which is what I tried first.
Link 3 - This deals mostly with crashes that occur when using FireFox alongside another application. Mine crashes as soon as it opens, so this doesn't apply. I've tried the other items listed as well (quicktime updates, etc)
Link 4 - This is a lot of bank-and-forth about a specific issue related to a firewall, but doesn't help here.
Link 5 - The person complains about the crashes but doesn't advise how to fix it.

I tested, and firefox WILL run in Windows Safe Mode.

Let me know what else I can check or do to resolve this...

Edited by Fnordia, 22 January 2009 - 09:35 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd seems to be one of Firefox themes/skins.
What theme do you use?

Fnordia

Fnordia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No special themes or anything added. I've never downloaded skins for FireFox.

I also tried deleting that file (it was part of the instructions for removing add-ons and extensions in the links provided) and FireFox still didn't work afterwards.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let's make sure, your computer is clean...

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).