Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless network help plz!

• Please log in to reply

something311

something311

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I currently have a cable connection in my home and am hoping to setup a small home wireless network for my two laptop computers.

I know i need a router, but I have also heard I need a HUB? or a switch?

right now i have a laptop and a desktop on the router, but they cannot see eachother onthelocal network. althoguh they are moth in the workgroup "office" and can both access the internet

I would also like to have WIRELESS access to my new printer (it has an ethernet port on it?) but i woudl like to have it stand alone and NOT hooked up to my desktop (which will be gone soon)

please help with hardware lists. I have looked through the FAQs and what not and they sem to imply that my router can do this, however i have followed many instructions and still cannot see mylocal computers.

thank you!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if I can help you all the way through, but for wireless you need:

1) Wireless Router
2) Laptop with built in wireless or a slot for the wireless PCMCIA card.
3) Wireless card for your Desktop.

Depending on where you plan to use laptop, you may want to look into get the best that provides the max distance and meets latest wireless standards. Use of an external wireless antenna may be worthwhile in some cases. If your Desktop can use a wireless PCI card, many are available like these at NewEgg.com. Check to see if your Laptop comes with wireless built in. Mine does.

What works for you depends on your equipment specs. For in-home management, you might look into this and related ones:

Access Your Computer Remotely from Anywhere – Free

something311

something311

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Payne; thank you for the help so far. this is where I am as of now:

I have TWO laptopsw/ wireless cards
I have ONE wired desktop pc
I have ONE wireless router

Now all the computers can acces the internet, however they can NOT file share or see eachother on the local network. All are in the workgroup titled "OFFICE"

What can I do to amke the se eachother and file share?

do i need a hub or switch?

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
You should be able to file share without a switch.

I've recently set up a wireless network at home and i can file share.

You do have to set up which files you want to share though? Find the folders you wish to share, right click the folder and go to Sharing and Security.

Then you have to make sure Share this Folder is selected.

You should be able to view this on the network now?