Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-Spam Idea

• Please log in to reply

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
So as I've read, the idea of collecting IP's hasn't worked the best. While finding idea's for my own site, I came across Spam Poison, which redirects email harvesting bots to a trap site. This trap site has an almost infinite number of generated fake email addresses that render their harvested lists useless.

I haven't tested this myself, but as all other projects, it's worth a shot. All it requires is the implementation of a choice of two codes. One as a text link, the other a small logo button (like my signature's).

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
We edit posts quickly to try and remove email addresses that may be posted, so email harvesting bots can't get them. We also have things in place to prevent many spam bots from joining. Unfortunately, we can't avoid all spam - if people choose to join and spam, there's little we can do to stop that.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thanks Sari for the reply. Since I discovered it, I threw it out there to see if it would be a help to G2G.

I guess I better get back to my PL now.